Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
char2121
Thanks for the update!
Rahoulb

So the WWDC Keynote is over. Apple announced “background music” on the Apple Watch and Siri actions which could allow voice control for Spotify, but nothing about streaming on the watch. And no mention of a specific Spotify app. 

I will keep checking the reports from the developer sessions over the next few days but my first thought is full streaming Spotify on the Watch isn’t happening (although sync and play Spotify on the watch might)

Jldksy24

Honestly cannot believe with how forward thinking Spotify was/is this isn’t something they’ve done. Bought the watch to listen to music while running and so frustrated Spotify can’t give me that. 

djriggz

Again - it's not Spotify's fault. Apple doesn't allow it. If you're frustrated by this, blame Apple, not Spotify.

mousemoney

Apple has not yet opened the Apple Watch to 3rd party app developers, but according to this article (https://www.techradar.com/news/spotify-could-finally-come-to-apple-watch-in-june) it may be coming this June. Hopefully this release is just around the corner. 

nickcmt

The notion that it’s apple that’s blocking it is flatly false.  Spotify is the one feuding with apple not the other way around.  It’s time for them to get over themselves and open up to watch interactions.

Iv’e spoken directly with iTunes designers and confirmed as much.

I am days away from making the full switch out of pure frustration and irritation with their short-sightedness.  

zw_-5l62x7uar

Hi Spotify,

I'm thinking about an apple watch 3 with LTE. When will spotify be able to support the apple watch?

jeremyvanman

@nickcmt wrote:

The notion that it’s apple that’s blocking it is flatly false.  Spotify is the one feuding with apple not the other way around.  It’s time for them to get over themselves and open up to watch interactions.

Iv’e spoken directly with iTunes designers and confirmed as much.

I am days away from making the full switch out of pure frustration and irritation with their short-sightedness.  

A feud always involves 2 parties.

Apple developers might be biased about who's to blame.

nickcmt

An API is an API.  They can do it (snowy was spotty, Spotify bought them) It has been done. They just haven’t.

thecity2

Just curious what is the motivation for Spotify to not support the Apple Watch and what is Spotify's grievance with Apple?