Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
MattSuda

Hey Apple Watch users,

You may have seen news about an Apple Watch app in beta testing.

Spotify is often testing and launching improvements and new features. During testing, you may see something on the app your friend doesn't, or get a new feature for only a temporary period.

Please note that beta features are not always released to the public at the end of testing. Stay tuned to the official Spotify news channels for the latest announcements.

kainz0r
  • I bought an Apple Watch 4th gen expressly to be able to leave my phone at home more often.
  • In this scenario, there is no phone to stream Spotify from - the watch is it. It's all I'm carrying.
  • Apple Music service allows you to store music and stream music from the watch with no phone support.
  • It's possible for other Apple Watch apps from developers such as Spotify to also store music and stream it directly on the watch.
  • Because there is no Spotify app, I'm now in the process of porting my playlists over to Apple Music. Once this is complete, my Spotify subscription is getting canned - I've been a customer for 6 years without reason to change services... until now.
  • I'm not unique - most people in this thread are in the same situation. Every Watch customer is a customer that is very likely to abandon Spotify until this is fixed. Spotify should address this, and do so quickly.
Luke
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2018-11-10

Marked as a new idea and edited the title slightly 🙂

Pulver

The Spotify app for Apple Watch is released today.

There is no offline mode, but according to swedish tech-news it is planned to be relesed in a later update 🙂

sirV

I have the app on my watch but all it says is connect to a device, not sure how to do that. Is it meant to show a list?

image.jpg
TotallyNotGlenn

After more than 3 years and 53 pages of posts, we got it!

2018-11-14 18.58.05.png
brokenmat

Well I have the latest version of Spotify on latest iPhone with latest IOS with latest Apple Watch 4 with latest Watch IOS and I did get a pop-up in the app on my phone saying I have Apple Watch app now but it doesn't show up in the phone Watch app in list of apps that can be installed, very frustrating to wait years and then still not have it.  😞

joe_main

This would complete me, Spotify. C’mon. The watch app is a great start but we want, nay, need offline play! Apple Music sucks and my free trial is about to end.

Be a pal and make it happen 🙂

Oracleyoda
Mine did automatically.

Its not exactly worth the wait, but now that it is there lets hope they develop it.

Orbsitron

Thank you, Spotify! We appreciate that you are listening to your subscribers / customers! 

I agree with this thread. My priority order is, please:

1) The ability to stream music directly on the watch (no phone required)

2) The ability to download music for offline playback (lower priority than streaming given the limited space on the watch)

Thank you!