Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
paidion123
Seriously, this is ridiculous. We ask for untethered Spotify on the watch
and they give us features that we haven’t really asked for. They keep
saying it’s coming but when?
--

- Jared
Rahoulb

Well, Spotify have said untethered access is coming.  

In the meantime, there's an app called Apollo for Spotify that allows for streaming on the watch (I think it might be LTE-only).  It's not perfect (it quite often disconnects when switching from one song to another) but it does work.  

fbondeson

Hi,

@Peter, any news on the Offlien support, that was a part of the original question ..?

jimster1

Specifically how is the question of offline playback «solved» when there is no solution for offline playback?

mattjm

Yeah this is not solved.  The OP said "I want to be able to save my spotify music offline on my watch for a run. "  That capability isn't in the current watch app. 

AlibabaUK
Hey guys, Spotify confirmed they're going launch offline mode soon on their newsfeed. I think they're just testing it at present.
Hope that helps?
jake_palandri

Yes but that hasn’t been released yet so really it has not been solved. We also do not know how long it will be until they release that feature. It could be months for all we know. 

Dschidi

Been watching this thread for years and also find it funny that this is "solved" when all this app allows you to do is control the music that is still playing from the iPhone.

The point was to have an app that allows you to not need to take the iPhone with you to listen to music and this current app fails to do that in every aspect.

Not only does it fail to play music from the watch offline, but it already fails to even stream music via the watch without the iPhone present. So it can't play music AT ALL.

And considering it took three years to create an app that just allows you to control the music on the phone, combined with the fact that "some guy" was able to create an app that was able to stream Spotify via the watch within a few days (which of course was forced to be taken down), the simple conclusion is that Spotify doesn't want to create this functionality for whatever poltical reason and we probably won't see this functionality for many more years to come.

zuxilp6jbp4hnsn

The whole reason why I purchased the apple 4 watch cellular verison was so I would have the ability to stream music while running. Come to learn that the Spotify app does not work without the phone.

Please make the app work!!!!

japoneez

I'm still waiting for this offline feature or stream via cellular before purchasing an Apple Watch will this be something to look forward to in the future?