Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
samluyet

I keep hoping ev ery time there is an update to the Spotify app that streaming from the watch will be avaialbe... however it still hasn't happened... The most frustrating is that we don't even know when this will happen so we keep waiting for something that might never happen... If only I could get Pandora in my country,

julystuart

Thanks for your responses, Peter.

Any news on when a Spotify update for the Apple Watch will be available that supports offline use? That would let us all run through the valleys and hills sans phone. Free as (almost) birds. I love my Spotify premium account and don't want to have to keep using Outcast to listen to my downloaded podcasts. I'd rather use Spotify! Thanks for any info. Cheers, --Josh

Peter

Hey @julystuart.

Thanks for your message!

We don't have any news about this yet, but we'll be sure to keep you posted and let you know as soon as we have any updates.

Keep running, and stay awesome 🙂

spotify:track:4gIBVzdQutBd809V7cxyhg

bigdog5142

This is rediculous! I've been with Apple Music for a long time now...but always wanted to come back to Spotify. Circumstances in my family are causing me to need to come back to Spotify...but no Apple Watch streaming???!!! That's pathetic! It's one feature that I use on Apple Music that is amazing...don't need to carry around my phone when I'm at the gym. With Spotify I have to? ARGH! This NEEDS to be implimented ASAP!

rgb99qq

I am a 7-year paid premium Spotify user.  3 months ago I posted on this board that I would leave Spotify for Apple Music in 3 months if Spotify did not come up with an offline Apple Watch app that allowed me to play my Spotify playlists from my Watch while away from my phone.  This has still not happened.  I have therefore transitioned to Apple Music.  Apole has a 90-day free trial.  I plan to keep my Spotify paid subscription for only one more week while I fully test out Apple Music.  For those of you wanting to do the same, below are some of my initial experiences.  Note that I am “all-Apple”, i.e. Mac, IPad, IPhone, Apple Watch so your experiences with other platforms my vary substantially from mine:

• Transferring playlists from Spotify to Apple Music was incredibly easy.  I used SongShift from the App Store and paid the $3.99 for the pro version.  It took all of 20 minutes to transfer 10 playlists and 1500 songs.  SongShift has an option to synchronize playlists between Apple Music and Spotify but I have not done this. 
  • I listen to music through Sonos high quality home stereo system; two different automobiles; Sony WH-1000XM3 Bluetooth headphones; Bose Soundsport Free Bluetooth earbuds.  On all platforms, and for the identical song across many different genres, the Apple Music fidelity is better, so the AAC format seems to be an improvement over Ogg Vorbis which Spotify uses.  However,  fidelity is not sufficiently better that I would have switched only for this reason if not for the Watch app issue.
  • Use of the native Apple Music is a much better integration with CarPlay and Sonos as would be expected. 
  • I like the look of the Spotify iphone app better with its dark mode.  The Apple Music app is busy.  Maybe I will get used to it but not a big deal either way.
  • I miss Discover Weekly and Release Radar but I found that songs in these lists were less and less relevant to me.  I am enjoying the Apple Music curated playlists

So there you have it.  I think the Spotify millionaires and billionaires from the IPO have lost site of their customers as evidenced by the missing Apple Watch app and the impending opening of Spotify to advertising even for paid subscriptions.  Good luck to them.  

Frankyee
Thanks for good feedback. I will change in spring/summer, when jogging just with my Apple Watch.
stu517

Need offline playback on Spotify or will have to go with Apple Music.  Very disappointing especially the lack of any response from Spotifly on this request

cjonesjr2

Is the programing that hard??? Maybe hire some interns, heck im sure the community would write it for you. There has to be something going on beind the scenes, maybe they predict the userbase wont be sufficient enough for the amount of money invested. That or Apple has an enbargo of sorts on them streaming and saving songs for offline play, since that is Apple Musics territory...

philipomara
I think they have an issue with Apple. But why can’t they just admit that?!
philipomara
Great response. Thanks!