Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
frab93

Thank you @stan88 for launching this idea, I'll share it in avry Apple group I belong to. 

I hope @__spo__ will do something about this ASAP. 

JasminS

I don't think that they habe an issue with Apple. The Audible App (audiobook from Amazon) offers also an offline functionality.

Is there any update from developer side?

I like to use my apple watch in gym, but without my phone.

so Apple Music is still an alternative for me.......

Raffioli

@JasminS

No, and I don't think they do care about the apple watch application 

Vsweg

You will lose subscribers to Apple Music without this capability.  It does not make any sense not to have a way to stream or move playlists to Apple Watch.  Don't be like Apple, be logical and make it easy for members to stay members when they also use Apple Watch!

bigdog5142
I would love to come back from Apple Music...but without this functionality, I’m staying away.
philipomara
Does Apple currently compete with audible in the audiobook market? There is no Spotify for Apple TV app either.
eugtor

It's not fair! 😞 I don't want to switch back to Music from Apple to be able to leave my phone at home, Spotify is much better for me and it's a shame, that Samsung watch can download and store playlist while Apple Watch can't!

EliGarcia

Spotify the feature would be very much appreciated,this could be a deal breaker for me because i hate working out and having to have my phone on me.Pandora has the feature already.

jc999

Wow ! thank you ! SongShift is a must 🙂

I tried apple music but syncing 1 playlist from spotify to apple music was quite a pain... 

Now, I switched my premium subscription from spotify to apple, and enjoy the offline play from my watch 🙂

@rgb99qq wrote:

I am a 7-year paid premium Spotify user.  3 months ago I posted on this board that I would leave Spotify for Apple Music in 3 months if Spotify did not come up with an offline Apple Watch app that allowed me to play my Spotify playlists from my Watch while away from my phone.  This has still not happened.  I have therefore transitioned to Apple Music.  Apole has a 90-day free trial.  I plan to keep my Spotify paid subscription for only one more week while I fully test out Apple Music.  For those of you wanting to do the same, below are some of my initial experiences.  Note that I am “all-Apple”, i.e. Mac, IPad, IPhone, Apple Watch so your experiences with other platforms my vary substantially from mine:

• Transferring playlists from Spotify to Apple Music was incredibly easy.  I used SongShift from the App Store and paid the $3.99 for the pro version.  It took all of 20 minutes to transfer 10 playlists and 1500 songs.  SongShift has an option to synchronize playlists between Apple Music and Spotify but I have not done this. 
  • I listen to music through Sonos high quality home stereo system; two different automobiles; Sony WH-1000XM3 Bluetooth headphones; Bose Soundsport Free Bluetooth earbuds.  On all platforms, and for the identical song across many different genres, the Apple Music fidelity is better, so the AAC format seems to be an improvement over Ogg Vorbis which Spotify uses.  However,  fidelity is not sufficiently better that I would have switched only for this reason if not for the Watch app issue.
  • Use of the native Apple Music is a much better integration with CarPlay and Sonos as would be expected. 
  • I like the look of the Spotify iphone app better with its dark mode.  The Apple Music app is busy.  Maybe I will get used to it but not a big deal either way.
  • I miss Discover Weekly and Release Radar but I found that songs in these lists were less and less relevant to me.  I am enjoying the Apple Music curated playlists

So there you have it.  I think the Spotify millionaires and billionaires from the IPO have lost site of their customers as evidenced by the missing Apple Watch app and the impending opening of Spotify to advertising even for paid subscriptions.  Good luck to them.  

testasdaölsdkas

push!!