[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2019-09-18

Hey folks,

We wanted to post an update as a lot of you have added your votes to this idea. 

We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience across platforms, but we’re afraid we don’t have any further information to share at the moment.

We typically don't announce integrations with third parties in advance. The best place to keep an eye on is on the Spotify Newsroom blog for updates about any partnerships.

Thanks for continuing to share your ideas!

Comments
stu517
They have never responded to this thread. Unfortunately we are stuck with
evanzieg

Probably should go on its own thread, but PLEASE add this for WearOS too!!! (Adding to this thread since it is relevant and it seems to already have a lot of momentum) It would be incredible for me to download all or some of the music I listen to my watch so I don't have to always have my phone when exercising. I don't care if it has to be a reduced sound quality due to storage constraints, but I hate that the app is basically just a glorified remote control.

EduardoMallmann

Oh man, what's up with this!? This is just basic stuff, that's the only reason I want Spotify on my watch (run without phone while listening to offline music). Come on!

testasdaölsdkas

Go Go Go Go Go!

alvarolopez12

We are still wating this... :(

cory5522

This was a deal breaker for me! I cancelled my premium membership and switched to Apple Music so I can workout without my phone being in range of my watch, but would definitely switch back if Spotify allowed us to listen offline on the watch. Just sayin'!

stu517
Realize they simply don't care
Orbsitron

To give Spotify some credit, it took them a while to release the Watch app in the first place, but they were working on it and they did release it.  I think it's premature to state that Spotify doesn't care about streaming and offline download support.  

They likely have several priorities and the Apple Watch has limited APIs around offline downloads (from what I've read from WatchOS app developers) such that there are some technical challenges around making a decent user experience for offline downloads.  I'm not as familliar with the streaming APIs (streaming is more important to me, but I'm not as familiar with how WatchOS app devs feel about the capabilities Apple offers there).  Given that it may be technically challenging and given that Spotify likely has several priorities and projects going on at once, I suspect they are working on this, but it will take a significant amount of time (much like their v1 of the Watch app). 

What would be nice would be an update from Spotify confirming that they are working on these two features.  They haven't been great about communication on this app.  The fact that this is still listed as "New Idea" indicates they haven't decided not to do this work, at the very least.

I'm hopeful the app gets updated to support streaming and to support offline downloads, and I'm also furstrated by the wait.  Despite that frustration, I do think it's reasonable to assume Spotify does care but perhaps there are other things at play (including work they deem as higher priority).

stu517
It would take 30 seconds to reply "we're working on it" and watchOS5 opened
up the API to make offline download relatively easy. Obviously Pandora
didn't find it that difficult. So this is the primary watch thread on
their own support forum - if they won't even acknowledge the thread it is
of no importance to them
lorenzom55

Sending us over to a post about cellular data access is not the original intent of this post.  We want to be able to sync our playlists to Apple Watch to listen off line just as the Apple Music app does.  Not everyone has an LTE watch.