Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
Conjonway

+1 thinking of going to Apple music just to get this feature

k_dog_nor

I have been a spotify premium customer since at least 2010, I love new tech and Spotify had a very innovative business model.  A couple of years ago I got a family subscription - Spotify has been with me through a decade of my life and I am a very loyal customer. A year ago I bought an apple watch to so I dont have to bring my phone everywhere, track my running and listen to music.

I thought bringing my Iphone with me would be a temporary solution as Spotify normally is in the front of creating good apps, but still I have to bring my phone. At this point I am giving up and switching to Apple Music. 

So, if you need at business case for spending money building offline support for apple watch here it is;

The spotify customers who are in front of adapting new technology and some of your best customers are leaving..

asdasdasdassdsa

That's not the case. Audible and Pandora do offline playback on the Watch, the technical capability is there since wOS 5.

I would think that real reason seems to be that Spotify sees better ROI from other developments, i.e. the Watch users are not a customer segment significant enough. 

And then it could be a licensing problem with the music producers.

However, Spotify did implement offline playback for Garmin watches, so it's probably not a focus nor a licensing issue. So I'm out of ideas. 

georgo

Thinking to shitching to AM too. Spotify simply does not listen to its users, nor commumnicates why there is no Apple Watch offline listening.. Very dissapointing.

SanityVacuum

Pandora added Apple Watch Offline Playback in January 2019 for their Pandora Plus, and Pandora Premium subscribers. There is plenty that I like about Spotify, and would prefer to remain a subscriber, but as a runner, offline playback on my Apple Watch is essential. This seems like a no brainer, and hopefully something Spotify is already working on.

MattMickey

Took the app off of my watch. It serves no purpose. Just takes over when I'd rather control the music with the integrated music controls on the watch. So so crazy that Spotify took the time to build this app and left out the one function that it would be used for. Even crazier that they don't let us know what's going on. So close to switching to Apple Music.

Vheung

I have subscribed to the family plan as well. I've been extremely patient waiting for the offline Apple Watch app. At this point, I am extremely disappointed it has not come out yet. I will contemplating making the move to Apple Music in the near future. 

EduardoMallmann

Well, I have already subscribed to the Apple Music service due to the lack of this feature and the lack of updates from Spotify. Currently I'm keeping both subs due to my family plan. But the next step will be to fully migrate to Apple Music premium and cancel my premium sub here.

It's pretty upsetting that other services like Pandore have already released this feature and we are still not receiving any updates from Spotify here.

asdasdasdassdsa

Dammit OK probably figured it out. 

Garmin is paying Spotify for enabling the access on Garmin watches. Otherwise it makes no sense since Garmin sells about 10x less watch units than Apple. Apple obviously is not paying Spotify anything, and that's that. 

It's not "nice" but hey I get it - a startup even as big as Spotify has to follow the money. 

alvarolopez12

I strongly beleave that apple is blocking this...