Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
ADKF8I

Not looking for offline listening on Apple Watch, rather streaming Spotify when apple watch cellular is connected to cellular but not with the phone.

AlexanderByron

I am so in favour of this! I use Spotify daily and whilst the new Watch app is great it really annoys me that I cannot download playlists and podcasts directly! It's the only thing Apple Music has over Spotify right now. Would love to know if Spotify are planning to add this feature (and when!). I am sick of having to use Apple Podcasts for my podcasts at the moment...

evansknowles

I've been wanting to switch over totally to Spotify for music & podcasts (of which I listen to a lot), but my last hold out on switching with podcasts is not being able to download to my Apple Watch. And I'm certainly not going to use Apple's Podcast app on my watch and Spotify for Podcasts on my phone and computer becuase then what I have and haven't listened to would be all out of whack.

parkmansw

I can only imagine that I speak for most Spotify users with Apple Watches who run that without this feature there is really no choice but to switch the Apple Music which has this feature (despite finding Spotify the superior product in every other way).

hdogdiggity

Offline playlists on Apple Watch would make a huge difference.  To go on a run with music, but not having to carry a phone, would appeal to many users.

walph

**bleep** please implement this! I don’t want to take my phone to the gym when I own a perfectly capable cellular Apple Watch. 

I dont want to, but this is kinda forcing me to move to Apple Music ☹️

Philipondio

Spotify still didn't come up with a solution? Come on!

How is this still an issue?!

If all of my friends weren't using Spotify, the switch to Apple Music would be a no-brainer. Shame on you!

Colina

Can we please have a comment on this? At least say it's under consideration, or that developing a new app for Apple Watch is not in the budget or not financially viable?

That way we can all stop complaining. Now we simply do not know what's going on. That uncertainty causes your userbase with an Apple Watch to try out competitors, please take that in consideration when discussing this internally.

macbinjo

I think I have to switch to Apple Music, because Spotify won't implement this....

wizaard

Few weeks ago I started Apple Music 3-month trial. So far running with my Apple Watch with offline music. I don't like Apple Music so much, definitely prefer Spotify (especially because of the multi-platform support) but as I mostly listen to music on my phone (iPhone) and watch (Apple Watch), I guess ultimately switching to Apple Music and cancelling Spotify Premium will be the right way to go... let's see, if there is no update on Apple Watch offline play until September, I think I am switching - cannot imagine running without music anymore.