Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments

Got Apple Watch recently, thinking they have already implemented offline playback. What the **bleep** is wrong with them. Just pass the API and somehow we will come up with a solution on GitHUB. **bleep**.

MandyDroid
So funny!
Rahoulb

@user-removed wrote:

Got Apple Watch recently, thinking they have already implemented offline playback. What the **bleep** is wrong with them. Just pass the API and somehow we will come up with a solution on GitHUB. **bleep**.

There was a solution (it wasn't offline, but it did use the Spotify API to allow streaming from your watch).  

It was called Apollo and it was a long way from perfect - sometimes, when one song ends and another begins, it will freeze - like it's lost its network connection - and there seems to be no way round this apart from killing it and starting over.  But it does work - and even includes voice search (which isn't available on Spotify in my region).  

However Spotify told the developer who wrote it to make it unavailable almost immediately, saying the API wasn't intended for use on "other" devices and they were breaking the terms of service (I was lucky - I installed it before it was taken down and I've still got a copy on my watch).  

So we know it's possible, we know it's easy enough for a single developer working on their own to build a working system, we also know Spotify won't let that happen.  

Cust1981

Switched from Apple Music to Spotify. 

Better integration with WiFi speakers. 

Still happy with the switch but offline mode for Apple Watch is one I really need. Thanks for implementing. 

jmd0116

Please plan to implement streaming on the AppleWatch cellular. Also, I’m hoping the Spotify app finally jumps on the ios13 streaming and Siri. I love Spotify, but that flipping Apple Music is too well integrated. Between Siri, AirPods, and the watch—it can be painful. 

barriemac

I need this in my life

toenni13

If you want a usable music app for the Apple Watch just cancel Spotify and go to Apple Music. Spotify didn't do it the the last couple of years so there is no chance they will do it ever. They don't care about customers and are obviously ok with people switching to Apple Music. Btw, Apple Music has improved so much over the last years, you'll be surprised. It's still a shame because I liked Spotify so much and it's still great but if the people in charge don't give a s**t about Apple Watch users I'm leaving. And I hope they'll lose as many customers as possible. 

toenni13

PetrusB

This is the reason why I still use Apple Music instead...

cchevs444

Please, Spotify, at least tell us if you plan on implementing this.

I'm considering leaving Spotify for Apple Music because with AM I can go to the gym without my phone, with Spotify, I cannot.  Thanks @user-removed for the suggestion of using Songshift to transfer playlists from Spotify to AM.  As much as I love Spotify, if we don't hear from them about this issue soon then I'll probably switch.