Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
labroste

ahahah, you hypocritical bastards!ahahah, you hypocritical bastards!

georgo

Around 2023-24 Spotify will implement this for the Apple Watch.

Unfortunately by then Spotify will only have 1 Premium Subscriber left, and he/she will also switch to a different streaming service for good. 

Lupine

At the moment there's two main things which push me towards either Spotify or Apple Music.

1. Streaming directly/offline playback on my Apple Watch.

2. A native Windows app

The first is the most important to me and would be an easy win for Spotify because I don't see a native Apple Music app coming to Windows any time soon.

But until Spotify stops being so hypocritical and finally takes advantage of WatchOS 6 (or at least announces it) you can call me an Apple Music user.

Zambibambi1
At one point I may have justified Spotify for their opinions against Apple, but the more and more I see it, at least Apple cares about their customers. In the act of Spotify trying to pin Apple as the bad guy, Spotify themselves have turned into the bad guy. If Spotify was having roadblocks with Apple (which haven't been proven through any leaked correspondence) then they should have evolved their business to make up for their lost revenue. Apple did when they realized they weren't able to penetrate the phone market any further. They spent the time and resources to come up with new services. So should Spotify. Instead they decided to have a "life's not fair" argument and point all of their problems as being entirely Apple's fault. But hey, if they want to be stubborn and refuse to evolve, then ultimately they will lose this battle (whether the European Commission will see it this way is an entirely different story). I've been paying for both AM and Spotify because I sort of used Hulu. But I'm quickly finding that it's not worth justifying the extra money per month just for that. I have an AW I like taking to the gym and other places and can't really keep paying for both streaming services for the convenience of Hulu. Apple Music's music recommendations are farther behind than Spotify's but with Spotify's child-like behavior, I can't see me funding the cause anymore.
Troyhe98
What is the point of having everyone vote on ideas and comment and then take no action? Clearly they aren’t listening to the voice of the customer.
hervul

What happened to this extract from Spotify's Time to Play Fair website?

2018 (SEP)

Apple finally allows enhanced functionality for the Spotify app on the Apple Watch

With Watch OS 5, Apple allowed the Spotify team to start developing offline functionality

dlewis

Baffling why Spotify still hasn’t developed an offline listening capability on Apple Watch. It’s a no-brainer and not that hard to develop either. Hard to see a strategic reason for Spotify not to do it, and Apple doesn’t appear to be blocking it (whilst no doubt winning many more Apple Music users than they otherwise would as a result). 

gsusx

Spotify's handling of this particular issue is poor but there must be a reason for the radio silence, there must also be a reason why no other companies (Deezer/Google Music/Tidal etc) in europe have offline listening enabled even though it's been there since Watch OS5, so it's not JUST spotify.

It could be that the partnership they have with samsung doesn't allow it, or it could be there might be something more they are not telling people.  Whatever way you look at it, it's poor form all round.  They need to come up with a clear answer rather than knocking out a generic reply like that, that's just disrespectful to the people who pay their money every month and are just asking for some clarity around this subject.

PapaJoe2
Gsusx,

You may very well be right about the existence of constraints. But Spotify can merely inform its customers that it is restricted at the current time from doing x (without even divulging any proprietary details). Yet it fails to do something so minimal.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 

just laughter

I continue to enjoy my apple music

You will lose a niche of customers in particular those who have iphone, apple watch LTE. They are not many, but they are there.

bye bye