Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
andnil

Has anyone of you naggers thought that it might be Apple not making it possible for Spotify to add Streaming/offline listening to Apple Watch!!!? Apple has previously done this, making their own products exclusive on their platform to take market shares. As I see it, this is easy peasy for Spotify's developers to add this to their platform. But Apple are blocking them... So please, save your nagging on this forum and go with your critisism to Apple instead! And follow this thread when Spotify announces that they are (allowed by Apple) to develop streaming/offline listening on the Apple Watch.

dlewis
This is definitely a possibility. But if it were the case, Spotify could simply say so. If they don’t want to disparage Apple (to preserve overall relationship), they could say something that at least indicates that they are currently unable to do it, without saying why. At least that would stop us Spotify users getting frustrated by waiting / lack of clarity. (#firstworldproblems)
stu517
The statement was very clear from Spotify. They will not support it in the
near future. I have followed this thread for over a year and they
responded once to it and were clear this is not going to happen. Move on.
joe_main
It's not a possibility. Other apps like Pandora already have streaming and
offline listening on the Apple Watch; there was also an unofficial version
of Spotify called Apollo for Watch which had the functionality, but Spotify
had it taken down.
Rahoulb
Has anyone of you naggers thought that it might be Apple not making it possible for Spotify to add Streaming/offline listening to Apple Watch!!!? Apple has previously done this, making their own products exclusive on their platform to take market shares. As I see it, this is easy peasy for Spotify's developers to add this to their platform. But Apple are blocking them... So please, save your nagging on this forum and go with your critisism to Apple instead! And follow this thread when Spotify announces that they are (allowed by Apple) to develop streaming/offline listening on the Apple Watch.

I have an app, called Apollo for Spotify, that does streaming from Spotify to my Apple Watch without needing a connection to a phone.

It's installed on my watch right now, was written by a single developer, working alone - and Apple allowed it onto the App Store - they had no problem with it.  The developer was given a cease and desist by Spotify a couple of days after it was released - for breaching the terms and conditions of Spotify's API licence - so it's no longer available.  

It's not Apple blocking this, it's Spotify

toenni13

@andnil

do you even read threads or inform yourself before commenting? It’s yesterdays news that it is possible for Spotify to make an offline and streaming app but choose not to. And Spotify clearly said that they wouldn’t do it, so feel free to wait around and hope they change their minds. But you’ll be waiting a long time buddy. 

AlibabaUK
I used to think the same as you until Apple made an official statement saying they have no intentions to block such features if applicant follows their AppStore terms.
May be worth reading what Apple had to say? At the end of the day it is t their platform and of someone wants to make money using benefits it's reasonable to ask for revenge shares. It's all money in the end and I now feel Spotify is losing out since Apple watch is one of the most popular smart watch in the market so its silly hesitating knowing revenue will still be better than now if they agreed the standard AppStore terms.
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/03/addressing-spotifys-claims/

removed

joe_main
Thank you kind sir!
toenni13

Thanks @franc2018 of course Spotify would delete your comment, but guys, download Apollo from the App Store 🙂