Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
pmeves

To my surprise, the comments started 2015... Since it was impossible back then to stream via LTE/4g, I understand the wait, but since watchOS 6 has been out there is the oportunity here to deliver what the community is asking.

I have to say spotify is working in all fronts making sure they are the top music lib streaming service and are probably succeeding, but considering the amount of apple users and the growth in apple watch purchases, I don't understand why we do not get more feedback, more information about the development status of this feature. 

Spotify has probably the best chance to deliver a big blow to apple here and stopping the bleed of premium users switching to apple music and still they keep letting it go...

Spotify, please have someone answer for the status of this request promptly and think that myself between many more users are thinking of switching, and one by one will start to leave if we don't even have inside information about how this request is being handled.

I still have faith considering spotify for Tyzen was AMAZING. I am now asking you to deliver or inform us of the same quality features for the apple watch.

Cheers

stu517
they already weighed in on this thread. they said that the request for a
real Apple watch app was not a priority at this time. that was about a
month ago and the only time they have ever engaged in this thread.
following that an independent developer rereleased his "Apollo" app which
used the Spotify API and brought all of the features requested. I grabbed
it and it works well. Unfortunately Spotify had it removed from the App
Store for illegal use of their API.
Point is that it would take no time for them to deliver the app but they
have chosen not to in order to prolong their dispute with Apple over app
store percentage of revenues.
I think they are stupid to think that this will bring any pressure on Apple
because those of us wanting the app are blaming Spotify for being petty.

markm8

It's WAY easier for anyone to leave spotify rather than apple; those who have invested in the full apple ecosystem are not going to switch brands and devices because spotify don't offer something, they will much more easily dump spotify and pick another music provider. it's the way i'm heading, with regret 😞

axdbrn

The refusal to provide these features is a key reason I'm thinking about left Spotify and try Apple Music or even Pandora. 

Lucho7
I agree with you. I do not know why Spotify is mute on the issue. There
is certainly a lot of interest in this and even anger because of their lack
of communication. I believe and fear they are not willing to change the App
because Apple may be demanding too big a cut of their revenue. It may then
be that it is more advantageous for them to keep mute and erode the base
more slowly as users patiently wait for a new App, than declare they are
not going to do it and accelerate the process of losing customers.
caprovat1234

This is honestly a deal breaker for me.  Its so wasteful to have to carry my phone around as a brick just to listen to a small playlist of 20 songs.

edsdsdsd

I've also started to switch to Apple Music as Spotify is not able to give us a correct user experience on Apple Watch.
Come on Spotify ! Now that Apple has opened the API it's all in your hands. 

MandyDroid
Yep I hate Apple Music but I have started converting also. Silly just
because Spotify is petty.
Juliano01

SPOTIFY TECH TEAM : Can you PLEASSSSE bringa n Update to the Sportify Apple Watch App so that we can use it whilsest streaming, or even better, in Offline mode! 

I dont Like apple Music I have to say. But it is a real burden to always carry around my phone whilst runnig and thats mostly when I listen to Spotify. Thus I have not other chance than to use Apple Music. Please UPDATE THE APP TO OFFLINE AND STREAMING Mode!!

And Please give an update when you will do so. 

nokturnalist

+1 on offline mode for the Spotify app.  I'm training for the NYC marathon and I've had to subscribe to Apple Music for the sole purpose of using the Apple Watch and Apple Music with offline mode.  Running 20+ miles with a cell phone bouncing in my back pocket is not ideal, thus, hands free with Apple Watch.