Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
Lucho7

What I like most about about Spotify is the Daily Mixes it prepares.  This is what in my mind sets it apart from the other services.  Without this feature, I have no preference and would rather be in Pandora which already allows me to stream offline on the Apple watch.  Downloading music is a good feature, but it just makes me play over and over the same songs.  This is not what I want the service for.  Your Daily mixes allows me to hear music I have not even thought about or discover new music. If Spotify will not allow me to play offline in my Apple watch I am already set up to jump to Pandora by the end of the premium trial.  I have no idea why Spotify will not provide this feature, probably because of a dispute with Apple, but regardless, as a user this feature is non negotiable for me.

wyaparadise

Sorry Spotify. Apple Music sounds better at this point. I'd really prefer to listen to Spotify but I can't listen to it standalone on my watch unless I'm with my phone and my phone has the app open. You just lost  a long time, loyal, valued customer. Maybe I'll come back if you end up adding this feature. But until then, so long. Thanks for not paying attention to your customers and not prioritizing issues that are very common, as I've seen plenty of people with an Apple Watch that also use Spotify, and would gladly enjoy this feature.

Rhache99

Hey All,

Part of the reason why I bought the iwatch recently was to enjoy music without my phone (I didn't fact check the person at the Apple store who mentioned I could stream music on the iWatch through Spotify without needing my phone!).      >.<

In any case, I do enjoy Spotify as a premium user, but really hope they develop the ability to stream music via iWatch only (without needing a phone)... Otherwise, I may switch to Apple music for this dealbreaker benefit.

GuitarGod76

I honestly thought that LTE Streaming to the Apple Watch was already a thing. After buying an Apple Watch this latest release and realizing it's not....it's kind of disappointing to see Spotify lagging behind Apple Music especially with the realease of the API that Spotify was complaining about and now has. Shame that Spotify has just sat on this idea since then. Recently purchased Apple Music and am on the 3 month free trial. Hopefully Spotify enhances the current Apple Watch app cellular streaming, otherwise it looks like I won't be the first to cancel Spotify due to this limitation. 

hnza123

Just use SongShift to migrate playlists to Apple Music. Started 3 months trial this week, if this feature is not implemented by that time of free trial, Im cancelling my Spotify subscription.

therioman

Frankly the only reason I have "tolerated" that Spotify has not sorted an Apple Watch app that can work standalone to play streaming via the cellular functionality of the watch is because I don't pay directly for my Spotify Premium - it comes via my carrier. But when they end that at the end of this current contract, if Spotify hasn't got this I'll be cancelling - I've paid for Spotify Premium directly previously until I got the carrier deal, and if Apple Watch Streaming was possible, I'd keep paying.

As it stands, the lack of this functionality means I use Spotify less, and I increasingly am tempted to switch to Apple Music because ultimately I use my watch on cellular regularly and I want my music!

Given the real threat Apple Music poses to Spotify, the glacial pace of action from Spotify is just unacceptable. 

MandyDroid
I have been using Apple Music more and more. It’s not as bad as it used to
be and it is starting to rival Spotify’s curated playlists. My days with
Spotify may be numbered.
helariL

I have been a paying client for almost 7 years. But this is kind of a dealbreaker for me. I will be canceling my subscription and moving to Apple Music or something... Most of my friends who have bought Apple Watch have already done so. Such a shame

atrain728

Its well past time for this. Why the secrecy? Decide to do it and do it. Or just cede the market to Google and Apple because they'll certainly be happy to eat your lunch on this.

keltong

After waiting for months...it's time to move on...so long Spotify...