Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
LeeJHayes

This is absolutely ridiculous Spotify. This was the winning deal for me when purchasing the watch as the guy in O2 told me this is possible. After a week ownership I’m now returning the watch whilst you sort your act out and release this basic feature. All it would take is for your software to allow the watch to be used as a playback device and use the Bluetooth headphones as the output and yet this simple feature doesn’t exist. 

Please change this so I can actually use the service I pay for on a watch you are supposedly supporting. 

Pprydderch

Spotify - it's about time you got this sorted. I contacted Apple today as I had not just Spotify but also some radio streaming apps (TuneIn, Radioplayer), that wouldn't allow me to stream directly without my phone. Their reply was that the reason it's not possible is due to a DRM or licence issue on Spotify's end......."I was able to see you actually are not able to stream Spotify without having the phone nearby. Not unless if you use Spotify and download some songs for offline listening, that would be the way to hear it on your watch, without your phone. It does appear that Spotify has some kind of DRM restriction. It seems like the others may have the same thing"   -  So come on Spotify - fix it!

Fiddledeedee

>it's not possible is due to a DRM or licence issue on Spotify's end.

It works on newish Garmin watches, although the experience supposedly isn't great

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/30c6c876-ba43-4cbb-b4c7-03583a7cb66b#0

nokturnalist

Would be interested to hear what the DRM licensing could be about, since they are already licensed for iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks.  If anything I would think the issue would be with Apple not allowing access to storage in the Watch OS.

toenni13

People... The ONLY reason why Spotify won't enable offline and streaming mode for the Apple Watch App is because they DON'T WANT TO. They could do it, Apple allows it and others have done it. But they don't. Because they don't care about their customers. That's it. And before you wait for them to do something, let me save you some time: They won't (as they said themselves). So just switch to Apple Music or something else if you want to stream or download music to your Apple Watch. 

Juliano01

What bothers me most is, that noone from SPOTIFY seems to care. Why is no one replying. An answer like: Now we wont do it or please wait, we are on it would be sufficient.

PLESE COMMENT SPOTIFY!

Mediocretes_

It’s pretty incredible to me that Spotify would not want to jump on the opportunity to address the streaming issue when watchOS 6 opened the floor to third party LTE streaming. At the very least add an offline play back option. 

I love Spotify and have had it for years but it is now defeating the purpose of my Apple Watch. I got the watch to listen to all my great playlist easily while I work out and that still isn’t an option. 

I will be looking into canceling my subscription so I can get a subscription with a service that actually plays nice. Being loyal to Spotify  is getting hard. 

CadBobSpo

6000+ votes... can't wait for this feature to be added! 

Thanks

MandyDroid

Don't hold your breathe - we have been waiting for years. Spotify has no real interest in adding this feature.

Juliano01

@Robertidon The question is when. I just cant get my head around the situation that Spotify is not givong any hind at all.