Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
bambich56

Maybe this will alert the management: everybody who owns shares of this company should sell them today. I will do.

meyerjoe

First time comment. Happy spotify user so far. Just got me an Apple Watch. I'm totally excited about the convenience of the watch.

So this might be indeed a reason for me to cancel my premium account and switch to Apple Music. I'm very disappointed. 

brandonschall

Actually considering moving to Apple Music because you won’t allow cellular streaming. I understand no offline play... the Watch can’t have that much storage anyway I’m sure... but we should be able to stream at least. 

pmeves

Also looking to stream from watch alone to headphones (Im not even looking for offline mode). I signed up to apple music today for the transition... 

kindread

Im out. Cancelling family membership because of this lazy approach to a long standing issue

kaaaj

Since Spotify is dragging their feet on building a key feature for 6000 of their users with zero indication of creating it, I'm looking to swap over to Apple Music. Anyone know a good way to transfer playlists/saved songs/etc. to the new platform? Found some stuff online but curious to see if anyone else has done it. 

@Spotify - this is the 10th highest voted idea in the community (14th in the list, but four are implemented). What's holding you back??? It's probably a few sprints worth of time for a small team of dev resources...let's do some quick math:

Four dev sprints = 8 weeks

Four engineers' time ~ $70k ($150k annual salary for Spotify iOS dev from Glassdoor, calculated for 8 weeks and quadrupled for the team of four)

Spotify Premium = $10/month or $120/year

$70k project cost / $120 annual user ~583 users

6135 votes on this idea (as of today, 11/21/2019)

If developing this feature saved just TEN PERCENT of the people who've voted for it, you already have a positive ROI. Just saying.

merlin371

I've been a paying customer with spotify for well over 10 years, it was one service I would always 100% pay for, I recently switched to Apple music, simply because I can't have offline play on Apple watch

nbrg

I've been on apple music for over 6 months now, there are a lot of things I like about Spotify but this is the one thing that had me switch.

As silly as that sounds, running is important to me and if one service allows me to do it with only my Apple Watch on me and still listening to music, that is the one I'll be using. If I could do the same with Spotify, I think I'd switch back as Apple Music has its own shortcomings.

But for now I'm holding off.

MandyDroid
Boo. I don’t listen to explicit content. Lol
krispy4

For this Black Friday weekend only - with Shazam you can get 6 months free of Apple Music. 

I'm still subscribed to Spotify, but now I've also subscribed to Apple Music just to download my songs on the watch. If after my 6 months is up and Spotify still hasn't delivered the basic functionality, then I'll leave for good - I assume I would have been fully integrated into Apple Music by then.