Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
jbrown11

Add me to the list.  I’ve been a Spotify premium subscriber for 7 years.  If I can’t download my playlist to my Apple Watch in the next three months when my free Apple Music subscription ends I’ll be switching over.  Ridiculous that you can, but won’t add this feature.  

ibmer

Opened an Apple Music account last night. Three month trial. Seems like that gives the Spotify team 90 days to do what they know is right for the customer before at least one drops. If your competitors are able to offer this feature, and you've been aware of the customer demand for what appears to be over two years, then (being a cloud developer myself) I think I'm being more than gracious at providing 90 days to deliver before taking my business elsewhere forever. This wouldn't be acceptable where I work, and it shouldn't be acceptable there either.

castadream

Wait, this isn't possible in 2020 with the new Apple Watch?! If this is requirement for running, it sounds from other posts like Apple Music will work? Anyone make the switch? Curious to feedback. 

evolross

I made the switch finally. And I hate Apple Music. Love the Spotify interface and experience. However, you know what I dislike more than Apple Music?  Running with my freaking phone in my pocket or strapped to my arm.  Apple Music it is.

mseiter

I just bought an apple watch and I am shocked that there is no offline mode for the watch app 😱 Just unbelievable!

Please please please, spotify!

Finally implement offline playback for apple watch!

Edit:

btw.
you call an offline mode for Wear OS a "good idea" and for WatchOS a "not right now" ?!
I am not getting it. Searching the Internet reveals that there seemed to be a solution called "Spotty" that worked, you bought years ago and you are still not able to deliver? I guess time is counting down on Spotify for every Apple Watch user.

toffeeprods

streaming via apple cellular watch please 

Benmurph

Any update on offline streaming for Apple watch. I’m really considering a switch to Apple Music 

ecr80

Hey Spotify Developers. Fix this already! it's obvious people want this feature!

sgfhateyou

wth...... I could believe that this is true..... we are in 2020 and direct streaming to the apple watch isn't possible?????

I'm currently using the trial account for apple music. If the trial is over and spotify still haven't solved this, I'll switch.... 

itsjk

Any timetable that there will be offline playback for Apple Watch (series 3 with watchOS)?

The only thing keeping me with Spotify is the fact it also runs on that one chromecast that is still laying around here and the fact I need to copy all my playlist... Also I respect the legendary idea of streaming music and being the first who got record labels on board, huge achievement! But at least on Apple product Spotify is getting behind...