Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
Agustin013

it's a joke? That this function is not yet implemented? please let's go!

Spotify thinks it is a joke. It has over an year since started winging apple is evil etc. They Slack When Apple opened the door :(. Apple Music is the way to go for offline playlist now.  💔💔

keltong

I don't know if it is Spotify's fault or Apple's fault that this feature is not implemented. What I am not happy about is Spotify's silence on this issue. If it is indeed as some claimed that Apple is putting brickwall for Spotify to implement this feature, all they need is 2 min of their time to update everyone in this community. But no, they choose to go silence and this thread is last updated 2019-09-18. Well done. Happy Apple Music customer and their Lyrics sync features is absolutely gem. Glad I made the switch.

k_czka

I cancelled my Premium subscription because You (Spotify) don't have posibility to stream music on my Apple Watch 5. This is sad. Apple had given this possibility long time ago and Spotify still haven't done anything!!! Until You don't have this i'm sticking with Apple Music and i'm not givving You my $

krispy4

No one should for one second think that this is Apple's fault. This is purely Spotify actively choosing not to go further with this. They have a partnership with Samsung where every Samsung phone comes pre-installed with Spotify, I believe. 

But I wonder what their game plan is here. People, myself included, love Spotify more than Apple Music, but there is no way they can push me to Samsung and their Galaxy smartwatches because of this. 

It's not that Spotify doesn't want to allocate resources into developing these functions - there are Spotify apps that already offered this function that have been bought by the company. The company is just choosing not to offer it. 

hhanesand

Piling on here to say I'm switching to Apple Music or Pandora because this hasn't been implemented. There are no technical blockers. Come on Spotify, you're looking like an a** here.

agentollie

ahhhh how is something so major not accessible here?
I guess have to look at other streaming services?

sirlylos

I cannot believe this isn’t a priority on your roadmap, it’s not even technically difficult. I’ve now been forced to sign up to Apple Music so that I can take advantage of offline tracks but I’ve been with Spotify since the start. People need answers or action Spotify.

evolross

Something else I've noticed upon switching to Apple Music... the sound quality seems way better!  I use my phone in my car for music as well and the sound quality just sounds more clear. Like Apple Music is running a higher quality music file and/or tweaking the signal for their app and/or 3rd party apps (e.g. Spotify).

Now that I'm using the free version of Spotify, it definitely sounds like **bleep** compared to Apple Music because it's now using a lower fidelity audio file. But even when I was on Spotify Premium and had it set to "high quality" it seems like Apple Music just sounds better in my car and AirPods Pro.  Of course, I can't do an apples to apples comparison now because I no longer have Spotify Premium. But if my memory services me, something sounds better.

And interface, preferences, playlist recommendations, etc. aside... I'll take better sounding music any day over any feature.

Just cancelled my Spotify Premium Family account due to this missing feature.  Apple Music here we come.