Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
danverbiest

Never seen so many updates from Spotify in such a short space of time. And yet STILL this feature and the Apple Watch continues to get overlooked. What’s the point of having these forums if nothing is done?

I too am going to leave soon. Apple Music may not be the best but it works everywhere

dixieflatline

They might be answering but they are willing to delete forum posts in this thread. 

michanbg

watchOS and wearOS streaming/offline support is really over due!

mseiter

Just realized that in wearOS Thread they are discussing the same as here.
For wear OS there is also no Offline Playback which makes me skeptical again if we are going to see a streaming/offline with watchOS 7 since it's seems not to be an apple exclusive "problem"

krispy4

wow, honestly surprised that WearOS is also dealing with this. I thought it was only WatchOS and due to their beef with Apple. This news makes the update seem less likely to occur.

Either way, I've signed up for a 4 month free trial with Apple Music and I ran without my phone for the first time today and felt so much lighter (I was even able to take some minutes off my average run time)

By the time the free trial runs out, Watch OS 7 would have been out for about two months. If Spotify hasn't made any changes by then, I doubt they'll do it in 2021 either.

Spotify, I love you, but your goodwill is really running low due to your stubbornness 

sroberts221

CANCELLING SPOTIFY FAMILY ACCOUNT (for now)
I recently switch from Apple Music to Spotify when my Tesla started offering a Spotify app onboard... just bought my wife an AppleWatch for her birthday only to find out Spotify does not support the of use cellular or Wi-Fi streaming!! I have 10 days to return watch, she’s already asking me to! Or do I cancel my Spotify Family Plan and go back to Apple Music...the Tesla integration is only thing that differentiates Spotify for me and honestly is a weak app on the car at the moment with some bugs... happy wife who likes to run and not carry a clunky phone with her is more important so she has cellular on her wrist in case of emergency, but also the benefit of streaming music! Surprised it’s a big deal for you Spotify to add this?! I know Apple was not making it easy to start blocking API for third-party apps to use cellular or Wi-Fi streaming, but what is holding you back now?? About to cancel my Spotify account...back to AppleMusic which is catching up on Spotify features..

krispy4

@sroberts221 You're making the wiser decision to get Apple Music instead of returning the Apple Watch. When Spotify comes to their senses, feel free to return. I know I will. But I won't stand for a company to withhold important features from us with no explanation. 

Calzoned

This is a terrible answer. Shame on you Spotify. I’m on the Apple Music trial, and it’s so much nicer because I can actually take music running. Apple Music let’s you do that. 
I’m going to vote with my wallet soon and for those of you reading this, I suggest you do the same 

michanbg

Still can't believe, that Spotify does not compete with Apple Music on watchOS or Play Music on wearOS. Pandora, Audible and other apps seem to support streaming (Pandora) or offline playback (Audible) on the Apple Watch. At least sind watchOS 6.

And no comment or explanation on this topic either. Very disappointing.

cwbollin

What is the status?  I would love to listen on apple watch with cellular data WITHOUT having my phone nearby.