Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
MattMickey

Switched to Apple Music, guys. Finally got so sick of Spotify not giving us any info on this issue. Overall Apple has a better selection than Spotify. Seems like a lot of the less known music I searched on spotify would often be blacked out and not available. Apple music almost always has what I'm looking for. That being said Apple's interface is surprisingly worse than Spotify. I switched from the desktop app to the web browser and that's better for desktop. The phone is fine but still not as smooth as spotify.

I used an app called SongShift to transfer my playlists and that has worked really really well. Easier than I thought it would be.

All and all I might still be a spotify user if they would've been transparent about this issue and communicated what's really going on. But as is I'm happy I switched. Won't be monitoring this thread any more. It's been a long few years of hoping. Best of luck to the rest of you.

RollingSlyStone

Spotify, I give you until the release of the Apple Watch 6 to sort this out. If you haven’t enabled both offline listening and cellular streaming by then, it’ll be goodbye from me.

brandonschall

This needs to become a thing!

Pattieman

Is this ever going to happen? I mean I love spotify but not gonna wait forever... Really thinking about switching to apple music.. 😞

VoidStarfire

Any update on this? Over 8000 votes. I really don't want to cancel for Apple Music... I don't understand what the issue is? The Apple Watch App is easy to make, what's the delay? Other streaming services have watch apps that work on the LTE watch.. why not Spotify?

mor5735

Its kind of crazy that this still hasn’t been implemented. Been a premium payer since 2014 or so and I might consider switching to Apple Music for this feature. I run 4-5 times a week and I really hate bringing my phone.

Giro87

Please note, that there was a working app for doing exactly this 3 1/2 years ago - called Spotty. Just google it.

In the end Spotify hired the developer and the project seized to exist.

It vanished into thin air.

Murdered by Spotify.

Never to be seen again.

Dead since ~ June 2017.

Rest in Peace, Spotty.

So ... keep that in mind when considering if you really think Spotify would EVER bring this feature to Applewatch.

Lucho7
The issue has been that Spotify objected to the Apple charges to them for
having this feature enabled. Spotify from what I understand has initiated
action against Apple for anti competitive practices, and while this is
being decided the feature cannot be enabled. That is what the delay is
about, and Spotify will not comment because of the lawsuit.
stu517
not exactly correct. Spotify objected to the fact that if someone chose to
do a premium subscription from the App Store then Apple gets a 30% cut.
That's it. Last time I checked most retailers take a cut if someone sells
their products in your store. At this point Spotify has alienated a great
portion of their user base for nothing
Lucho7
Yes, and if you initiate a Spotify subscription though the Apple store (
which is the only way you could do it) in order to enable your watch,Apple
gets 30% ?? of that revenue which wipes out their profit but Apple Music
does not pay for the same capability so Spotify will always be at a
financial disadvantage and cannot effectively compete.