Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
krispy4

This is a good start, but I hope they also implement offline downloads, which caters to the largest audience, and should be the easier feature of the two.

streaming mainly just caters to those with LTE and are paying for cellular.

dixieflatline

My opinion. Why not announce anything on this thread? Technically it doesn’t actually solve the OP as not everyone has LTE on watch or have a contact such as corporate who forbids the use. 

It is sad though that the faithful on this thread thought someone was listening who could manage this communication. 

That being said, would you all have appreciated this news or perhaps being offered the opportunity to beta anyway. 

Maybe the posters are all the people with no beta logo. Did you all check? 😊

michanbg

Streaming via LTE/4G is the more useful feature to start with, as the most common use case for this feature request is „i‘m doing sports with my cellular watch and want to leave my phone at home“. I think it is also the more complicated use case. 

And at least, there are some tests in the wild. good for me, because without streaming support over LTE/4G I won't continue our family membership. 

Dude_abides2
Rather offline support. It everyone pays the premium for cell+plans on
their watches
krispy4

@michanbg hmm, I actually think offline downloads is more useful to start with. It'll be great to have both, of course, but if I was to pick one to start with, it will be offline downloads.

1. This will encompass anyone that has an Apple Watch, even down to Series 1, I assume. LTE Streaming is only useful for those that have Cellular and are subscribed with their network.

2. On occasions where I'm without my phone (mainly jogging/going to the gym), I tend not to fiddle too much on the watch itself about what to listen to. So assuming I already know what to listen to, it makes more sense to have my playlists downloaded so I don't have to keep using my data (not everyone have large amounts of data available).

Either way, this is a great start and I hope both features get implemented sooner rather than later. What scares me though is that WearOS still doesn't offer offline downloads.

jntfurstman

The best thing about Offline Download and Streaming Spotify with Wifi on the Apple Watch is that It uses fewer Data Caps and It's great for walking as well as using it Offline for Music. Also, The Recent Apple Watches have Watch OS 7 and have Fairplay DRM witch allows Music Apps to run on Wifi and have Offline Download features. I also would love to take on walks and it'll be nice since I can load more songs since the newer Apple Watches have 32gb of storage. It could make sense.

bersercci

Over 5 years has this request been near the top of the idea list. Still nothing.

Cannot go for a run listening to Spotify without carrying a telephone in 2020.

Who would have thought...

danverbiest

Interesting article here about why this feature is only now making an appearance. Apparently it’s to do with DRM of songs that Spotify has not been able to use until now. 

https://www.idropnews.com/news/heres-why-spotify-has-been-limited-on-the-apple-watch-but-watchos-7-w...

If true then it seems Spotify need to be cut some slack here but the updates to users have been abysmal

eonurk

I will get an apple watch soon and my motive is to listen to music without carrying my phone around.

I have been a premium member since I first downloaded Spotify, it is an amazing app and now I use it with my all family. However, it is a real big bummer to see that I would not be able to use it on my watch, because it is such an elegant and simple idea. I would really appreciate it, if you guys stop ignoring what people want from you, this is the highest voted idea in the thread and not giving it a thought or an explanation is a disgrace to your customers and I am telling you this as a huge fan of your customer support which I had a lot of good experience with. 

Please (re)consider this feature as it is solely important for your customers,

Thanks

Ryan18104

All I want to do is put a playlist of like, 15 songs on an Apple Watch so I don't have to run with my phone. That's it. I can't believe this isn't a thing yet.