Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
DavidKalajdzic

Okay I was waiting for this during 1 or 2 years... And Finally I want to say you  BYE !!

I am now using Apple Music since 1 month (by the way the reason was that you increased the pricing for family membership: the proof that your only goal is money 💰and not end user experience) and everything is way better 🎶

Maybe I will come back in 5 years when maybe my Wi-Fi only Apple Watch Series 4 will be compatible 😑

Seriously considering switching to Apple music so I can listen to music offline on my Apple watch while running without having to pay a separate monthly cell fee for my watch.  C'mon Spotify, Apple has let people store songs and podcasts on the watch since the beginning, so we know it's possible. Get your ish together.  And while you're at it, actually let people choose which specific songs and podcasts they want to store on the watch.

DavidKalajdzic

Guys you cannot imagine how good it is with Apple Music!

1) You can select which Playlists to download offline in the Apple Watch

2) You can listen them without your iPhone (I love connecting my Watch in the car 🚗, so cool)

3) Apple Music has all songs you like (there is no difference) and if you don’t want to waste time with that, use this handy transfer tool https://www.tunemymusic.com

4) There is lyrics !!! Live lyrics are showed (powered by MusixMatch)

5) There is each year new features.  The app is more stable and the app never crashes (I had a lot of little glitches with Spotify...) Everything is smoother in Apple Music

And so oooon

I haven’t listed all arguments but you should really not waste your money and patience. Just come in Apple Music it is really really better.
Thank me later

mrmoosickle
Apple Music integration with Alexa is very poor. I can’t open Apple Music pick a track and play it on Alexa.
I loved the play anywhere functionality of Spotify. So for that reason and now they have the streaming available on your watch I’ll probably go back.
ccollins0822

Direct streaming to watch isn’t the same as offline (downloaded) which is what we want!

Tobeuss

It’s half of what we want. Progress is better than what we were getting a month ago. The title does have both topics. 

Dlant1987

Definitely ^ I”m sure some of us here are looking for offline content, but streaming is EXACTLY what I was hoping for and they delivered. Good work!

It’s all software, so it will improve more as we go - Keep up the good work Spotify, most of us appreciate this great update. 

dixieflatline

So. I tried our Apple Music as this was bothering me as I don’t have streaming capabilities due to a corporate contract issue. Also the ongoing battle of the giants and recent removal of DJay support I wanted to see if Apple One was worth it. 

first of - I hate Apple Music. I tried. I really did. It just isn’t the same. I remembered why I switched to Spotify which is why I am so frustrated. 

the deal is integrations. Like Sonos & Alexa using API’s to transfer and start is just great. I searched for at least a similar feature and it simply does not work the same. I called up a fanboy friend and they didn’t understand the issue. You can just ask Alexa, or stream via AirPlay or use the native apps. 

it simply does not come anywhere near. So much so that it makes this issue even more frustrating. Why is offline an issue. Why was DJay an issue for Spotify and not the other providers?

if Apple had a similar API it would make the decision easier. If searching or sharing or the social aspect was better I would have switched. 

as it stands I see a dilemma. I will do the math and think hard about this. 

did anyone else do a free trail?

krispy4

@dixieflatline I agree with your points raised. I'm currently on a 4-month Apple Music trial ending next month while simultaneously still using my Spotify account. Not once have I been able to successfully switch over to Apple Music, although (of course) its my main driver with my watch when I'm out of the house without my phone.

I've had my issues with Apple Music and it surprises me so much about why there are so many issues when they had quite a lot of time to understand and better Spotify's practices (a practice they do with their hardware where they wait and observe and then eventually incorporate these innovations with the "Apple Magic" and make old ideas seem brand new). For their services, which they're trying to re-position themselves as a services company, none of it is really working as well as it should.

I've been pretty vocal here about my disdain toward Spotify for their Apple Watch treatment, but the fact of the matter is that they just have a better platform (imo) and its so frustrating that they're choosing not to incorporate offline downloads, which is so simple that even an outsider can build an app doing so. I'll be getting a new phone next month and I'll make my decision then, but for now, I'll be sticking with Spotify (and this is purely because Apple Music has pushed me away).

nicpezz

BETA TESTERS! deoes this function will be active in cellular or this feature can be active also in not cellular?