Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
Barkie

Until full offline play from the Apple Watch (obviously with a premium Spotify subscription) is implemented on the Apple Watch Spotify app, I'm going to cancel my Spotify subscription and use online playlist transfer services into Apple Music. This way I'll be able to take advantage of Spotify, in my opinion, awesomely curated playlists. Some might find this unfair, but for me, Spotify main value is running with music, and I've just have had enough of an iPhone 11 Pro Max dangling in my arm, while I have an Apple Watch on my wrist.

There isn't the option of getting a 4G Apple Watch on my country or telcos support for it.

Apple Music suggestions, playlists and overall interface really pales in comparison with Spotify, but the music catalog is quite comparable. Transferring playlists results in something from 0 to 10 songs transfer fails (in >100 songs playlists). It's a cumbersome process but it's what it takes for my needs.

Not going to suggest any services as I have nothing to do with any of them, and can't really tell if they are trustworthy. A Google search reveals a few that are free to use. Please do your due diligence before using them.

I urge Spotify to implement the ability to transfer offline songs to the Apple Watch. I'll be eagerly monitoring this topic so that when it happens I'll subscribe again.

Keep safe all! 🙂

SaniCro

Some great thoughts and points were made here. I agree, to me Spotify also seems as the better service with better playlists. And I would like to support third party companies instead of buying everything in the Apple house. But ignoring millions of people who have an Apple watch for quite a long time now and their needs to have music available offline simply signals that Spotify doesn't value me as a client. And I will have no choice than vote with my vallet at the end of the year, even if it means to switch to a worse service.

krispy4

As far as I can tell, it seems that streaming is out of beta mode and is available for everyone.

I'm still impatiently waiting for offline downloads and the fact that they didn't roll it out with streaming is concerning. Especially since WearOS still doesn't have offline downloads either.

HM03

Both Pandora and Apple Music have had OFFLINE LISTENING for quite some time now. You can't tell me this is Apple restricting third parties from properly accessing their API and you can't tell me it's a DRM issue either anymore. I'm tired of the excuses. if Spotify doesn't implement this feature soon - I'm ready to jump ship. Get your house in order. 

krispy4

Should we set up a new thread for offline listening? But its clear that they rarely look through these threads. This thread should have been the first to know that streaming had been implemented. Instead, one of the top 10 (maybe top 5) most voted threads that has already been implemented is still showing "not right now", an update from well over a year ago.

AndreHerFul

Hello,

is there an update, when the option will be launched for the apple watch offline mode?

k_czka

Can all of you already stream directly on your Apple Watch? I don't see that option... I can only see my iphone... Is that already out for everyone or not?

Kuruderu
I can't either. So not widely available at the moment...
przyb

Any updates what so ever?

schmeer
In a nutshell, uninstall Spotify from you iPhone and Watch. I would reboot both afterwards. Then download and install the latest Spotify. It will have the watch option in addition to phone (tap the little green rectangle in lower right on the middle screen to change device).