Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
schmeer
I wonder why everyone is so reluctant to leave Spotify. Why the allegiance to their service? I have used Spotify, Apple and Pandora. I find the music I want to listen to, put it in a playlist if desired and listen to the music. It’s the same general process in all the services. You don’t use their user interface to do the actual listening. There is free software to make moving playlists easy. What’s the big deal to switch to another service? That is the only opinion or vote Spotify will ever care about.
michanbg

Because Apple Music delivers much worse recommandations, bad playlists, their genres are mixed up...

example: German Punk Bands, german Alternative and german „Schlager“ (really, really terrible music beyond any english description) in one „you might like“ playlist because you like some Punk bands. Reason? Apple does not suggest „Punk Rock“ or „german Punk Rock“

but „German“ .... 

it‘s like you listen to Social Distortion and Apple

recommends Dolly Parton. Just because both come from the US. 

saintscar

@michanbg

Yeah, feel the same about Apple Music and it's not only the recommendations. The overall usability of the app is incredibly bad compared to competition (still wonder why they can't manage to make it even close to it).

Like the whole offline download management - why the **bleep** can't i just click a "download all" on my library? You can only trigger downloads individually. The playback when fast forwarding is laggy and takes like 2 sec to catch up compared to Spotify (and others), too. The app and overall is insanely bad for a company with such budget.

Yet, i'll have to switch to it, as i am losing my "free additional eSIM" with my new contract and can't stream anymore and Apple Music will be my only possibility to listen to music offline while running (at least the only one in Germany, as we don't have Pandora).

denbeacon

Yeah I’m in the exact same boat... Been with Spotify for over 5 years with a premium family account. I would hate to move over to Apple Music but this feature is just too important. Currently got a 3 month trial of Apple Music for when I go out running with my watch. Sort it out Spotify, how many people are asking for this feature and still getting no answers? 

I don’t like to, but if the offline feature for the apple watch isn't coming soon, I will have to switch to apple music.

The status of this suggestion and the inability to vote for it makes it even more frustrating.

I will wait 1 Month for the status of this suggestion to change and I really hope it will.

I don’t understand why Spotify is kind of ignoring this problem.

Dude_abides2
Probably because we are all talk but none actually leave. I’m guilty, but
my patience is wearing thin.
illuvatar

Upvoted for 'offline listening'. Can't believe it's not here yet in 2021. Please dedicate one programmer from your vast 'podcast team' to this issue so we can all continue with our lives.

hottest100

Well, at least I know now that it's not a set up problem. For some reason the ability to listen to music via spotify on my new apple watch (without my phone nearby) worked for about 2 weeks. Now it's not. I don't get it. Why was it working and then not? I've tried reinstalling the apps, re-pairing my phone etc.

@hottest100 Maybe you had internet access via wifi. Streaming music with your apple watch is possible. But the offline feature is missing.

hottest100
Thanks, but nope. I’d switched wifi off, and cellular was on (I could make a phone call, receive messages).