Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments

Apple isn't stopping anything. Pandora did it and that's proof enough. Spotify has suckered you into participating in their pity party because they don't like Apple taking a cut. Boo hoo! Pandora did it, Spotify can too. Simple.

Stephencochran

figure it out spotify. this is not a hard integration to allow.

Inradi

Do it Spotify! We all know you can...!

Tobeuss

Since you "typically don't announce integrations with third parties in advance", can you please at least explain why you have NOT integrated with this third party, one of the most popular third parties on the planet, despite the outcry, and seemingly-imminent exodus of your users?

WilliamZWang

I don’t like the fact the Spotify is not transparent with their users. That’s why I would never trust Spotify and have enough faith in this company. It always feel like they have an agenda and don’t have user’s best interest in mind. 

The transparent answer is that Spotify's CEO is insecure and petty and wants to stick it to Silicon Valley.

As someone who owns not only an Apple Watch with an iPhone, but also AirPods Pro, an iPad Pro and an iMac i always was very tempted to switch do Apple Music because it´s from Apples ecosystem. But i never „betrayed“ Spotify which I’m using since 2014. But I’m tired of waiting for Apple Watch offline and stream support for Spotify. If you’re reading this and you’re thinking of switching to Apple Music but you’re not sure, then let me say that it´s totally worth it and that you won´t regret it. I´m using both services at the same time since 5 months. I have my own Spotify and i´m using my wives Apple Music with our Family subscription. I liked Spotify more than Apple Music because of their exclusive podcasts and their better algorithms. What was missing was the Apple Watch offline and stream function which i´m enjoying since a few month with Apple Music. If you get used to that, you simply don´t want to miss that feature anymore. it´s so relaxing and easy to go to the supermarket, to the gym or just for a walk without your iphone but still listening to music.

In my opinion Apple Musics biggest Pro is that if you are using any kind of „Apple-owned“ bluetooth-headphones like Powerbeats, Beats Solo, Beats Studio or AirPods, then your Music will be louder and have better sound quality in general with Apple Music than with Spotify. That´s due to the Apple chip which is built in in all their headphones and earphones. I’ve tested that and friends of mine did that too, it’s really true though. The exact same song was much louder and had better bass with Apple Music than with Spotify on my iPhone. But this wasn´t the case doing that with Beyerdynamic and Bose headphones. (Of course i made the Spotify app in it’s options as loud as possible and had no eq activated on both apps.)

The music recommendations are indeed not as good as Spotifys BUT if you use AM several months you will hardly notice big differences in that point. Many people compare their Spotify algorythm which they trained for months and years with Apple Musics algorythm which they don´t even use for a month. Of course the results are bad in the beginning. Give it time and have patience.

I absolutely believe that it´s only a matter of time until Apple Music will overtake Spotify. They are from the literally richest company in the world. Apple Music is bigger, they have more resources and have more money to invest. In the long view it´s smarter to put your money on the bigger horse, it will pay off in a few years. Reason for that is that Spotify makes almost no profit, they will have much trouble to keep up with Apple in the feature. Apple Music started late into this race, but they are catching up very, very fast.

EVEN IF they implement offline and stream function right now (which won´t happen) onto the Apple Watch, what about upcoming next Apple device features in the next years? Will we have to wait again for over a year until Spotify listens to us?

Guys stop complaining, you´re waiting for more than a year now, switch to Apple Music and be patient with it. Give it some months and you will be rewarded. It works so perfectly fine with the Watch and everything else from Apple. Let´s let Spotify pay for their ignorance.

ycliff1

I'm getting an Apple Watch soon, and this will be the dealbreaker for me if it's still not a feature when I get my watch. Judging by Spotify's silence and "Not right now" status, my guess is that it probably won't be, but I do still hold out hope.

Surely there must be somebody within Spotify who realizes that not having offline listening this long after Apple made it possible isn't sticking it to Apple—we're buying the watch regardless—it's sticking it to their own paying customers and driving us away.

Johnston1210

Ridiculous that apple watch is not properly supported, it leaves me with no choice but to move to Apple Music.

Jonkneev

I’ve been a Premium user for 7 years and and have had a family plan for 3. I will be cancelling my premium membership due to this. I received an Apple Watch for Christmas with the sole intention of being able to work out without needing my phone with me. This is crazy and unacceptable.