Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
evolross

Whatever the issue is between Apple and Spotify, Spotify should just gracefully surrender and update their Apple Watch app to work like all the others that successfully work.  And raise prices if they have to.

Dear Spotify: You're not going to win this. Apple is a 1000lb gorilla and will win the wearables war. No one is going to buy a Samsung watch just for Spotify. Everything will be wearables in the future. You're hemorrhaging your future business. As soon as my new Apple Airpods come in I'm switching to Apple Music.  Was hanging on because I get free Hulu but am going to dump it and go with the Disney+ bundle (we have small children).  Will still listen to the Discover Daily with commercials tho. Thanks Spotify for paving the way and then handing over the business to Apple on a silver platter. Such incredible business prudence.

Tobeuss

Another update, another failure. 

MandyDroid

Well I have gotten tired of the Apple and spotifuggle dilemma. I have now purchased the Apple family plan and will discontinue my spotifuggle family plan this month. I do not really care who is holding who up on this matter just that I don't get to use all my toys the way I want to use my toys. 

I feel whole heatedly that is Apple is causing third party vendors not to be able to compete fairly then that is an issue of it's own but not one for me to be involved with pursuing. 

Either way i am saying fair well to this chat after a couple of years of waiting for this feature.

Alanvaliev

How is Spotify still working on this. This is not an issue with Samsung Smartwatches. 

dixieflatline

There was a small note from Spotify earlier in this thread however if it was a size or technical limitation it would have been mentioned. 

This seems to be a business decision to not proceed, prioritize or publicize progress. 

@Spotify. Please comment if there are external factors such as vendor pressures or a simple explanation for not communicating to your customers. 

davidbag-ch

Samsung watches, if they are 4G yes they work more or less well with Spotify, sometimes sluggish app, but they work... if they are not 4G it is a little different! The app must be opened on the phone, otherwise does not work properly... it is not as smooth as AppleWatch and iPhone and Apple Music...
But I guess that they have some limitations because of the Samsung and Tizen OS... maybe some exclusivity on the smart watches department!

I don’t know... maybe... 

bytecoder

I’m trying to use my phone less. Spotify not being on the Watch is now the biggest hurdle for leaving my phone on my walks. 

Tobeuss

Hahahaha.... Pet Playlists?

Spotify is releasing playlists for pets, but not streaming to the Apple Watch. 

wth?

MandyDroid

Canceled the family premium on Spotify. Been using Apple Music more. Getting comfortable with it slowly. Removing Spotify from my phone to nail down usage to one app. 

Wow. Spotify is spending engineering hours building out "pet playlists" (that nobody asked for) and snubbing Apple Watch streaming (which over 6k people have vocally requested)? 

Someone wake me. I'm having a nightmare.