[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2019-09-18

Hey folks,

We wanted to post an update as a lot of you have added your votes to this idea. 

We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience across platforms, but we’re afraid we don’t have any further information to share at the moment.

We typically don't announce integrations with third parties in advance. The best place to keep an eye on is on the Spotify Newsroom blog for updates about any partnerships.

Thanks for continuing to share your ideas!

Comments
bambich56

You may be right. But if so, it would be easy for Spotify to avoid any future criticism (and avoid losing customers) by just explaining themselves here, or not? But they remain silent and therefore one has to assume, that they have to hide something. Fair-minded communication is everything. 

bytecoder

Well, Pandora has supported Apple Watch with offline support for a while now. Apple also opened up the streaming API 6 months ago. Pandora has been on top of things supporting these as soon as they are launced. Also, something changed since my comment was that I realized that Spotify released the Apple TV app two months ago. I did not know that - they hadn't supported Apple TV for years even though Pandora app has existed for 4 years now.

d-roam
Casual Listener

Indeed, more communication would be nice. For some reason, Spotify doesn't seem to do much communication about its intents or reasons on these forums. But it is a bit more open on other channels, such as its blog and YouTube channel.

As for Pandora, I think an important consideration is that Pandora is not really a competitor to Apple Music. It's a very different type of music service.

The fact is, unless Spotify is outright lying, Apple has blatantly discriminated against Spotify specifically for several years. Take a look at this timeline, chronicling how Apple has blocked Spotify specifically from certain developments since as early as 2011: https://timetoplayfair.com/timeline/.

There are several places that mention the Apple Watch: April 2015, September 2016, September 2017, and September 2018. That makes this a 4.5 year battle, and only in the past year or so has Spotify been allowed to start developing offline functionality for the Apple Watch. And based on that 4.5 year history, it doesn't take a big stretch of the imagination to imagine why it might be taking so long to deliver it.

But I agree, a little more communication an transparency into "what's taking so long" would be nice.

stu517
total bs. there is an app (apollo) which someone wrote on their own time
which provides all of the functionality needed for offline playlists etc
etc. spotify had it removed from the app store citing
copyright infringement. this is all about spotify in a pissing match with
apple and not giving two cents about its own customers.
georgo
Casual Listener

Spotify choose to frustrate and alienate its paying premium users.

A strategy rarely pays off..

nickcmt
Visitor

We are happy to share our ideas btw this one dates back to the start of the Apple Watch. So should I continue to share my money when one of the primary ways I want to use my music (jogging without my phone) isn’t possible? This is the third highest rated feature...

schmeer

I'm not following Spotify's recommendation of how to vote for an idea. I just discovered my long standing premium subscription is useless for my new Apple Watch and Spotify doesn't feel compelled to even communicate any plans to do so (or not) with its customers. I will vote with my wallet. No more $10/month to Spotify. 

AttackPenguin
Visitor

I don't understand how this still hasn't been implemented.  I guess I need to start investigating the switch to Apple Music.

MandyDroid

Im done with this .. I am stopping alerts from this request.

riccphoto
Visitor
I just got my Apple Watch, and yeah I'm kinda shocked. I did not want to invest too much in Apples Ecosystem but I might have to if Spotify will not even announce a feature like that. But maybe it is Apple not allowing Spotify to do so in return for the TV App? who knows what's going on behind the scenes.