Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
krispy4

"To recap, the controversial app tax is known as a 30% commission which Apple charges third-party app developers on first-year sales made through the App Store – including music streaming subscriptions.

However, according to Apple’s response to Spotify’s complaint, revealed today,  Spotify doesn’t actually pay Apple a 30% ‘tax’ on anything.

What’s more, says Apple, Spotify hasn’t paid any additional commission on a single subscriber obtained via the App Store for the past three years.

In fact, according to an argument seen by MBW, Apple says that Spotify only pays a 15% ‘app tax’ revenue share on just 0.5% of the latter’s 100 million premium subscribers worldwide.

That equates to around 680,000 customers acquired during 2014-16 when these subscribers used ‘In App Purchase’ – but Spotify apparently switched off subscriptions via the app after that.

In addition, MBW understands that Spotify pays significantly less than the standard 15% charge for those customers due to label discounts, with one source even suggesting that “they just want to pay nothing”.

Be wary of news being dispersed by active lobbiers against Apple. And they're using us as bait. The worst part is that the Apple Watch Spotify app is completely free, so Apple won't even get 15% of a cent from the app.

So why are they using this app to make a case? And don't they realize that it's only us they're hurting?

dixieflatline

Thanks guys for reposting. In fact as far as I am concerned, there was nothing in that post which warranted a deletion. In fact it has possible explanations in there as to why we are seeing this behavior. I can see this turning into a PR nightmare and perhaps this thread collapsing. Luckily we all have copies of all the posts. 

At least deleting the post shows they are watching which is useful to know. The question I have is why? Why NOT pursue this request? Why NOT answer the community? Why delete what ai thought was a useful post? Why NOT explain the reasons for removing third party players? 

I am with Spotify for the API. For the open connectivity. For the search and style. For the integrations. For the family plans. And I thought for the support. 

If I thought I was being supported, trusted to stay a customer and promote the service I will stand behind Spotify and see what injustice there is. 

izzzzz49

ummmm enough time has passed 

Gregoire1970

Coming October my Apple Music account is set to expire. However, if by that time offline listening on Apple Watch isn’t implemented, it will be my Spotify premium account that will expire instead. Simple as that. For me this is beyond ‘nice to have’ for my runs and bike rides and I’m totally flabbergasted (*) this hasn’t been implemented yet.

(*) never miss an opportunity to use the word ‘flabbergasted‘

_andrew

Please allow this feature - Pandora has already made strides in the Apple Watch app for being able to stream or listen to music offline, so we know it's possible! And as you're entering into the the podcast realm, I can listen to the same podcasts on Apple's service through my watch, so why would I use Spotify as my podcast service?

bgutermuth4

Still no Apple Watch stand alone app. This is very disappointing as an avid runner and spotify listener! I want to be able to listen to my playlists without my phone and Spotify hasn't made the development yet. Even Pandora has a stand alone app for the Apple Watch. 

bgutermuth4

Apple finally allows enhanced functionality for the Spotify app on the Apple Watch

With Watch OS 5, Apple allowed the Spotify team to start developing offline functionality

This was in 2019. C'mon Spotify. Get it together!

Millionsknives

This is pretty disappointing that we're paying for Spotify and they haven't updated this yet. I was on Spotify's side when they first drew attention to Apples unfair practices, but Apple relented a year ago now and Spotify has sat and done nothing. First, it cheapens their argument that Spotify was pushing for this stuff, and second, it feels like they're just doing it to keep the EU court case on track, with an excuse that even once Apple lifted the restrictions they still need time to develop the kit and so are suffering from the effects of past unfair practices (when actually they're being purposefully slow since other apps have updated). The roles have reversed and Spotify is now taking advantage of the customer base... The whole idea of Spotify was music anywhere, and they're now actively failing at that offering. 

robertow

It is incredible that Spotify is so deaf to the needs of its customers. I sent a message via Twitter to them and all they answered was "we have no further information". The same response they've had for over 1 year to me!!! WTH!!! Get this resolved PRONTO!!

g3ddylee

Just dropping by to complain that Spotify still hasn't integrated this obvious feature. Phones are stupidly large and are terrible to carry around for walks/runs. There's zero reason this can't happen, Spotify has some deep hatred towards Apple given their history, and despite Apple relenting and allowing apps to store offline music, Spotify has sat and done nothing.

I've been a customer since it launched in the US back in 2011/2012, and will be ending my family plan and switching to Apple Music.

Absolutely ridiculous, Spotify.