Announcements

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2019-09-18

Hey folks,

We wanted to post an update as a lot of you have added your votes to this idea. 

We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience across platforms, but we’re afraid we don’t have any further information to share at the moment.

We typically don't announce integrations with third parties in advance. The best place to keep an eye on is on the Spotify Newsroom blog for updates about any partnerships.

Thanks for continuing to share your ideas!

Comments
Regular
Apple Music integration with Alexa is very poor. I can’t open Apple Music pick a track and play it on Alexa.
I loved the play anywhere functionality of Spotify. So for that reason and now they have the streaming available on your watch I’ll probably go back.
Casual Listener

Direct streaming to watch isn’t the same as offline (downloaded) which is what we want!

Regular

It’s half of what we want. Progress is better than what we were getting a month ago. The title does have both topics. 

Definitely ^ I”m sure some of us here are looking for offline content, but streaming is EXACTLY what I was hoping for and they delivered. Good work!

It’s all software, so it will improve more as we go - Keep up the good work Spotify, most of us appreciate this great update. 

So. I tried our Apple Music as this was bothering me as I don’t have streaming capabilities due to a corporate contract issue. Also the ongoing battle of the giants and recent removal of DJay support I wanted to see if Apple One was worth it. 

first of - I hate Apple Music. I tried. I really did. It just isn’t the same. I remembered why I switched to Spotify which is why I am so frustrated. 

the deal is integrations. Like Sonos & Alexa using API’s to transfer and start is just great. I searched for at least a similar feature and it simply does not work the same. I called up a fanboy friend and they didn’t understand the issue. You can just ask Alexa, or stream via AirPlay or use the native apps. 

it simply does not come anywhere near. So much so that it makes this issue even more frustrating. Why is offline an issue. Why was DJay an issue for Spotify and not the other providers?

if Apple had a similar API it would make the decision easier. If searching or sharing or the social aspect was better I would have switched. 

as it stands I see a dilemma. I will do the math and think hard about this. 

did anyone else do a free trail?

@dixieflatline I agree with your points raised. I'm currently on a 4-month Apple Music trial ending next month while simultaneously still using my Spotify account. Not once have I been able to successfully switch over to Apple Music, although (of course) its my main driver with my watch when I'm out of the house without my phone.

I've had my issues with Apple Music and it surprises me so much about why there are so many issues when they had quite a lot of time to understand and better Spotify's practices (a practice they do with their hardware where they wait and observe and then eventually incorporate these innovations with the "Apple Magic" and make old ideas seem brand new). For their services, which they're trying to re-position themselves as a services company, none of it is really working as well as it should.

I've been pretty vocal here about my disdain toward Spotify for their Apple Watch treatment, but the fact of the matter is that they just have a better platform (imo) and its so frustrating that they're choosing not to incorporate offline downloads, which is so simple that even an outsider can build an app doing so. I'll be getting a new phone next month and I'll make my decision then, but for now, I'll be sticking with Spotify (and this is purely because Apple Music has pushed me away).

BETA TESTERS! deoes this function will be active in cellular or this feature can be active also in not cellular?

Casual Listener

Until full offline play from the Apple Watch (obviously with a premium Spotify subscription) is implemented on the Apple Watch Spotify app, I'm going to cancel my Spotify subscription and use online playlist transfer services into Apple Music. This way I'll be able to take advantage of Spotify, in my opinion, awesomely curated playlists. Some might find this unfair, but for me, Spotify main value is running with music, and I've just have had enough of an iPhone 11 Pro Max dangling in my arm, while I have an Apple Watch on my wrist.

There isn't the option of getting a 4G Apple Watch on my country or telcos support for it.

Apple Music suggestions, playlists and overall interface really pales in comparison with Spotify, but the music catalog is quite comparable. Transferring playlists results in something from 0 to 10 songs transfer fails (in >100 songs playlists). It's a cumbersome process but it's what it takes for my needs.

Not going to suggest any services as I have nothing to do with any of them, and can't really tell if they are trustworthy. A Google search reveals a few that are free to use. Please do your due diligence before using them.

I urge Spotify to implement the ability to transfer offline songs to the Apple Watch. I'll be eagerly monitoring this topic so that when it happens I'll subscribe again.

Keep safe all! 🙂

Some great thoughts and points were made here. I agree, to me Spotify also seems as the better service with better playlists. And I would like to support third party companies instead of buying everything in the Apple house. But ignoring millions of people who have an Apple watch for quite a long time now and their needs to have music available offline simply signals that Spotify doesn't value me as a client. And I will have no choice than vote with my vallet at the end of the year, even if it means to switch to a worse service.

As far as I can tell, it seems that streaming is out of beta mode and is available for everyone.

I'm still impatiently waiting for offline downloads and the fact that they didn't roll it out with streaming is concerning. Especially since WearOS still doesn't have offline downloads either.