[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2019-09-18

Hey folks,

We wanted to post an update as a lot of you have added your votes to this idea. 

We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience across platforms, but we’re afraid we don’t have any further information to share at the moment.

We typically don't announce integrations with third parties in advance. The best place to keep an eye on is on the Spotify Newsroom blog for updates about any partnerships.

Thanks for continuing to share your ideas!

Comments
Joeymendoza

Obviously, nobody will accept this great news so I won't post any updates about this going forward.

If you want a solution now this app does it but you need to pay for it. It rips music from Spotify then creates a playlist for you in iTunes then you can sync for offline use.

https://imusic.aimersoft.com/purchase/buy-imusic-for-mac.html

gante

I apologize if I sounded too harsh. My beef is with Spotify for not allowing an independent developer to post an app that solved the issue without having a solution on their own. I'm already paying them for the service of allowing me to download songs to listen offline on my phone and enjoying an ad free experience and I value that a lot. Honestly I would have more patience if nobody had worked on a solution faster than Spotify only to see him being stopped. If you are already paying Spotify I didn't see any wrong with the spotty/snowy app allowing you to download songs. 

Obviously I am not paying for a third app to rip the songs and I can pay Apple Music to download the songs I want to the watch, but I like Spotify and I am willing to be loyal to them. But it seems we are going to wait a few months (rather than a few weeks given the vagueness of the announcement) for a solution that you know already existed in spotty.

Also I admit I am not familiar with Apple to know if there is any valid reason why Spotify was caught unprepared for this feature. But in any case I would appreciate any concrete and public information from them directly rather than having to resort to rumors and third party blog posts.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to post the information about the incoming solution. Hopefully it will be available soon and to be honest this is a very example of a first world problem.

tnyeso
Visitor
hardy84
Visitor

Okey, so it's happening. Two questions:

1. When will it be out?

2. Will I be able to play offline music on the Watch without the phone present, like with iTunes? I'm staying with iTunes until this is possible.

tnyeso
Visitor
Watch the link that I have posted above; but short:

1. dont know (soon)

2. yes.
Salsawala
I'm planning to buy the iwatch but I don't mind not having offline Spotify playlists on my watch. I have been and still am a Spotify premium customer. Can I control my Spotify through my watch? Like browse through playlist, queue songs etc. If yes which external app will allow me to do so, also if u could please share link to app. Thanks in advance :)
tonyelo
Visitor
So far you cannot control Spotify. The best I managed to do was to use Siri to ask for next song . However it stopped working a few weeks ago.
user-removed
Not applicable

PLEASE let us subscribers of spotify when the spotify app will be available fpr the iwatch 2. been using pandora ALOT with VERY GOOD  results! tgiving very serious thoughts to switching to apple play for this reason. the app im using for spotify, 3rd party has a lot of playback problems even trying to control & stream to my new 2017 chevy cruze. a lot of BUG'S in this generic app!

CJRLightworks
Visitor

@jimster1 wrote:
This does not help the issue when leaving your phoneat home and you want to play music from the watch to the headset. Not the solution!

Thus: AirPods

BKNY
Visitor
Just as I expected: Hiring the Snowy app developer was to keep him from releasing the watch app and slow the number of people jumping ship. Spotify is never going to put this out. It was all a ruse.