Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
char2121
Currently you cannot do this with music from Spotify, but if you switch to
Apple Music like I did it works great!
zxplod

Why is this marked as solved?? 

etc

LOL - the best part is this is the response marked as the solution:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/Apple-Watch-3-Spotify-App/m-p/4312838/highlight/tru...

zxplod

No kidding.  Accepted solution is to move to Apple Music?  I actually already did that but sure wish Spotify would fix this because, aside from this Apple Watch issue, I like Spotify much better. 

Simbo1970

Yep that’s me done with Spotify too now because of this

WorleyG

I have no idea why it’s marked as solved.

I will not be moving to Apple Music so it’s a failed ploy for me. Hopefully it will be announced on 4th/5th June that Spotify has been developed for Apple Watch and everyone just had to keep quiet about it!

5tillmans

I think we are all hoping for good news on the 4th June. Hopefully Apple will be opening up the watch to a number of apps, not just Spotify. I also use Runkeeper on the watch which also can’t give any audio updates when I’m out running. I believe it’s all restricted by the same API?? 

Having used Apple Music now for about 4 months, I have to say it’s as good as Spotify in my opinion. I just prefer the interface of Spotify over Apple Music. I will move back to Spotify if this is resolved.

billi789

I' aware Apple Music provides the same (if not a bit more) music as Spotify, but do keep in mind cross-OS functionality of Spotify aside from the overall UX! That in itself is a huge advantage Spotify has.

5tillmans
Yes, such as playing Spotify directly to Sonos speakers from the Spotify app. Apple Music can’t do this, until AirPlay 2 is released. Only the new Sonos speakers support AirPlay 2 though
Joeymendoza

Watch OS 5 was announced today at WWDC and WatchOS5 will support music playing in the background and syncing. There is now a documented API developers can work with.

I can see lots of apps that podcast, or Audible, and Spotify being to utilizing this now. Finger crossed for the fall.