[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2019-09-18

Hey folks,

We wanted to post an update as a lot of you have added your votes to this idea. 

We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience across platforms, but we’re afraid we don’t have any further information to share at the moment.

We typically don't announce integrations with third parties in advance. The best place to keep an eye on is on the Spotify Newsroom blog for updates about any partnerships.

Thanks for continuing to share your ideas!

Comments
djriggz
Visitor

Again - it's not Spotify's fault. Apple doesn't allow it. If you're frustrated by this, blame Apple, not Spotify.

mousemoney

Apple has not yet opened the Apple Watch to 3rd party app developers, but according to this article (https://www.techradar.com/news/spotify-could-finally-come-to-apple-watch-in-june) it may be coming this June. Hopefully this release is just around the corner. 

nickcmt
Visitor

The notion that it’s apple that’s blocking it is flatly false.  Spotify is the one feuding with apple not the other way around.  It’s time for them to get over themselves and open up to watch interactions.

Iv’e spoken directly with iTunes designers and confirmed as much.

I am days away from making the full switch out of pure frustration and irritation with their short-sightedness.  

zw_-5l62x7uar

Hi Spotify,

I'm thinking about an apple watch 3 with LTE. When will spotify be able to support the apple watch?

jeremyvanman

@nickcmt wrote:

The notion that it’s apple that’s blocking it is flatly false.  Spotify is the one feuding with apple not the other way around.  It’s time for them to get over themselves and open up to watch interactions.

Iv’e spoken directly with iTunes designers and confirmed as much.

I am days away from making the full switch out of pure frustration and irritation with their short-sightedness.  

A feud always involves 2 parties.

Apple developers might be biased about who's to blame.

nickcmt
Visitor

An API is an API.  They can do it (snowy was spotty, Spotify bought them) It has been done. They just haven’t.

thecity2
Visitor

Just curious what is the motivation for Spotify to not support the Apple Watch and what is Spotify's grievance with Apple?

patrickbisi

Do the developers even look into the forum? It seems to be a claim from the premium users, who PAY for the app, to have a nice new feature that enable us to listen/sync music to the Apple Watch. And this request seems to be old, from 2014, 2015. So, you're really forcing us to move to Apple Music. The main reason I bought the watch was to have the option to run only with it, without my phone. If you don't listen to the market, you'll lose it. 

Akiainavas

Don't blame Spotify for this.

This is/was Apple's fault. Basically, previous versions of watchOS did not allow background music/syncing for any application other than Apple's own.

It's a very concerning practice, monopolistic even. But fortunately now Apple included those APIs in watchOS5 which means Spotify and other services will finally be able to actually do it.

Henius

I am using Watchify and that works well with Spotify and getting music via iWatch 3.