[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2019-09-18

Hey folks,

We wanted to post an update as a lot of you have added your votes to this idea. 

We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience across platforms, but we’re afraid we don’t have any further information to share at the moment.

We typically don't announce integrations with third parties in advance. The best place to keep an eye on is on the Spotify Newsroom blog for updates about any partnerships.

Thanks for continuing to share your ideas!

Related Ideas

Comments
Simbo1970

Not without your phone you’re not. This very long thread is about Spotify on the cellular watch without a phone present

moopoo

This is annoying af but I doubut it's Spotify's fault. There used to be an app called watchify that at least let you stream from phone to watch but that's been taken down. I can't imagine why spotify wouldn't release an apple watch app if it could. I believe we're running into the wall of the walled garden with Apple pushing people into its own inferior service.  

Makdizzl3

Even in the terms and conditions for the developer terms there full of lies!! 

1. Our users are very important to us. Let’s work together to give them tools to access, discover, manage, and share music. While doing so, please respect their data and privacy settings.

Get on it Spotify or you’ll loose my family account to Apple Music real soon...

Phoviper

All I can do is link my speaker to my phone's bluetooth and let the "Now Playing" app on my series 3 do it's thing, it's a little unfortunate that I can't switch between playlists on my wrist, but I'll just deal with it, doesn't seem like a "Solution" will come anytime soon.

Phoviper

Can't seem to find the watchify app on my series 3, outdated or no longer available?

Jaebez

I’ve suspended using the Premium feature until I can use Spotify with my iWatch. I have gone over to the “dark side” of Apple Music.

Too bad it’s taken so long to get something in the works. Series 4 will come out soon. 

Sitnaing

Spotify has inked with Samsung for support.

Enough is enough. It is not healthy for me to wait a year till their feud are  fixed.

Time to close premium.

etc
Casual Listener

https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/9aumim/this_is_ridiculousgive_us_a_spotify_app/e4ylpt6/...

We might be seeing something soon. WatchOS 5 introduces the necessary background music APIs to make this happen.

Joeymendoza

The API is open now to sync data. Now it's in the hand of Spotify.

https://marco.org/2018/09/17/overcast5

It’s not perfect:

• No cellular. Apple hasn’t released a good way to do cellular audio streaming in watchOS, and the bad ways wouldn’t be very useful.

So if they don't release we can blame them at this point.

The Overcast 5.0.1 update, due out in a few days, makes Watch transfers even more reliable. (Sorry. Found a better way after 5.0 was approved.)

mattjm

I'm glad Apple did the Right Thing and opened up the APIs so this is possible now.  I'm looking foward to offline playlists with Spotify real soon now--pretty much the only reason I ordered an Apple Watch 4 (make it soon, though...you know the other streaming services aren't going to stand still on this).