[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2019-09-18

Hey folks,

We wanted to post an update as a lot of you have added your votes to this idea. 

We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience across platforms, but we’re afraid we don’t have any further information to share at the moment.

We typically don't announce integrations with third parties in advance. The best place to keep an eye on is on the Spotify Newsroom blog for updates about any partnerships.

Thanks for continuing to share your ideas!

Comments
joe_main
I’m experiencing exactly the same thing, it’s extremely annoying and is making me resent Apple
Tobeuss
Casual Listener

This about the lamest thing Spotify has ever pulled. Stop hiding. 

-dxlpuka_l8bu
If you’re implying that I’m in any way affiliated with Spotify, nothing could be further from the truth. I just really like Spotify and would like to see this resolved.

-Pleasetypeyourreplyabovethisline-
Get Outlook for iOS
Tobeuss
Casual Listener

@-dxlpuka_l8bu  I don’t believe I replied to you, just on this thread.

eqru_vtv-gaeh

Heads up Spotify. I'm canceling my family plan this month. I need my music on my Apple Watch LTE and I've given you over a year to make it happen. Since you haven't, I won't continue to give money to such an obstinate company. Grow up. Back to Apple Music it is.

Lucho7
Visitor
I left a couple of weeks ago for the same reason. I just need to have this
feature so now I am paying Apple Music. It is a loss, but not as much as
the gain.
lcs
Visitor

As much as I like Spotify, this is a dealbreaker for me. Until there is offline and streaming support for the Apple Watch, I'll be over at Apple Music.

Troyhe98
Regular
I finally canceled my Spotify family subscription last month because of this and switched to Apple Music. Although I really miss “My Morning Drive” and “My Daily Mix”, it became really annoying when I wanted to go for a run with only my watch and not be able to listen to my music.

It’s really unfortunate Spotify doesn’t care about the most upvoted request in their forums. Why even offer people the ability to vote and comment and then refuse implement what their customers are asking for?

I can honestly say, I never would have even looked into Apple Music, if offline/streaming capability was added to the Apple Watch.

-Pleasetypeyourreplyabovethisline-
Get Outlook for iOS
heikki9
Regular

You guys are barking up the wrong tree here. Please see https://timetoplayfair.com/ and send all the hate mail to Apple. They deserve it.

And pleaase share this. It seems that nobody knows what is REALLY going on.

krispy4

@heikki9 Apple is not at fault here. In WatchOS6, which came out in September 2019, Apple provided the Apple Watch API to enable any third party platform to provide streaming on the watch. WatchOS 5 (which came out in 2018) already allowed offline playback for third parties. Spotify has chosen to provide neither, and has had ample time to do so.

The ball is in Spotify's court, there's nothing else Apple can do besides beg. Spotify is actively choosing not to provide the software, and they are buying out / blocking software that enables this. Several years ago, they bought out a software developer that built a Spotify streaming app. After buying him out, they killed the app.

The software is available, they literally have a previous Spotify Apple Watch developer and his software at their disposal.