Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
rokyusatari

It's a business & partnership topic, not a technical one per se.

There's an Apple feud - https://www.timetoplayfair.com/ but its user base of apple watch is certainly bigger than the Wear OS footprint globally.

With Wear OS, Spotify would tap into Suunto, Fossil & others so eating again more market share, pursuing the move they did with the Garmin & Samsung integrations.

Can someone well informed shed some lights or where we are with this topic?

Can we expect the offline functionality on watchOS before it comes to Wear OS or the other way around? The answer will guide users what to purchase in terms of devices.

It's about keeping Spotify and buying a watch one doesn't like and waiting for a software update or cancelling Spotify for another music service & buy a watch one enjoy. It's the dilemma we all face and as silence is here since - what, 5 years now? - Spotify has lost and keep on losing users who opted for Apple Watch & Apple Music or Suunto & Google Play Music (soon Youtube Music) for example.

@rokyusatari

No, read this comment section backwards or right from the beginning and you will see that this is is an issue since summer 2018. Spotify is absolutely allowed to implement the offline/stream function onto the Apple Watch, but for whatever reasons they are not doing it. They did it for Garmin and Samsung Galaxy Gear Watches though. Save your time, don´t wait. People are waiting since almost two years. Spotify doesn´t want Apple Watches to have this feature. They are not even telling us why they´re not doing it. They obviously  don´t care.

Apple opened the doors in 2018 and gave them what they wanted . The response I received was Spotify is still in talks with Apple . I call it BS.  Must be talks on how much Apple will pay them to buy them. Business partnership topic and Time to play fair is just for spotify crying like kid.. Apple gave us millions of customers and why they charge us money. Can’t wait for Apple to blacklist them . Spotify want everything for free and cheap. 

krispy4

I would love it so much if Apple just bought Spotify

3 months with Apple Music and I love running without my phone. The benefits I got from Spotify (like connect and shared playlists) are quickly being dwarfed. At this point, Spotify would have to give me a pretty compelling reason to return... 

Sinamiandashti

i talked with the supports

he told me they have to argue with apple about this feature , and after they deal they can implement it .

wth we are in the middle of argue of 2 haters that have too much fight with eachother.

we are innocent as customer. 

@sinamiandashti Support lied to you. Apple gave the developers everything they need to implement this feature. Spotify is just choosing not to do it. 

Other 3rd party music services have already implemented this functionality. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Spotify is telling Apple they won’t implement Apple Watch functionality unless Apple reduces/removes Apple’s share of iOS subscription sales. That is probably what they are arguing about. 

Spotify breached Apple app store purchase terms and conditions by asking customers to pay outside the app store. Apple was within its rights to block this dodgy move by not allowing them all the access. But when Apple did give Spotify all rights then Spotify like a stingy kid was not happy with the decision. Wanted more candy from daddy.haha

It's like shopping at eBay or amazon and asking customers to pay outside their payment portal as they charge 12-15% of the sale. Spotify then started the stupid campaign of being fair etc. when they can't pay a fair share of 30% for the first payment and 15% ongoing to apple/Google store.  It would be good if Spotify gets banned from the apple and google app store so they can stop slacking. 

Sinamiandashti

i was using apple music for 2 years ... then i immigrated to austria ... and changed my applestore to austria...

and all of my saved music in apple music vanished !!!

so i switched to spotify and gave a **bleep** to apple music

but now ... i cant run without my phone and with my 800 eur apple watch .. **bleep** this 

maybe i should go back to apple music

Rmoraisc2

With the ammount of comments here, its unbelievable the app is not getting the updtae to stream from the watch, specially since the feature has been released for almost a year!

if by end of fall I can’t stream music from the apple watch, I’ll have no choice than to switch to Apple Musiv