Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
Bardo

Try updating your Apple Watch. I have Apple Watch 4 and updated it last night. This morning when I clicked on the Spotify App on the watch it offered me the Beta. I'm on 7.0.2 (18R402). Good luck!

joy-with-ivy

I started this thread in hopes of being added to beta...and now we are. Yahoo! Love my Spotify but was going to train Apple Music and see about switching. Of course streaming glitches in weak cell areas, but great otherwise. 

edsdsdsd

I would love to test the beta also. Checking every day but still not present 😞

For all who have access to it, so you need to have the AirPods paired directly to the watch to get the AirPod icon ? Thanks 

kjmeijvogel

Nice for the guys that have been added to the bèta trial, but even that would not solve anything for me. In the Netherlands we have no 4G version of the watch, wifi only. So I dont need streaming mode, I need offline mode. Hopefully everybody is happy but not satisfied enough with the streaming functionality.

krispy4

@kjmeijvogel I agree. Even for me, and many others, I have a cellular watch but I don't use the cellular plan, so streaming isn't helpful for me either. Offline downloads positively impacts literally every Apple Watch, while LTE streaming only impacts a small section of those that both have cellular watches and pay extra for watch cellular plans.

Offline downloads is more important for the majority / everyone. Otherwise, after all is said and done, we'll still have the majority of Spotify Apple Watch users switching to Apple Music because they still can't listen to songs while they're out of the house without their phones.

aaronlapat
So, I just went for a run and streamed Spotify through my watch for the first time. Verdict: it works! No bugs. It is a major step forward. I agree that taking this one more step and releasing download capability will be huge. I do empathize with those without a cellular connection to your watch. I hope they come through for us all in this regard.
Is it possible to use a Bluetooth headset while streaming then, without the
phone?
How do I get this beta?
Bardo
Yes, you can use your BT headset while streaming from your Apple Watch. To get the Beta try updating your watch and iPhone OS and see if it pops up after your reset. I don’t think there’s a way to force the beta on, but this worked for me. But the good news is is that it’s likely coming to everyone soon. Hopefully the next phase will be offline music.
aaronlapat
Yes - Apple ear pods Bluetooth connected to watch, no phone and can stream Spotify via the cellular connection on my watch.
AMS17

Hey guys, I'm a little confused! How do I get this BETA? all my apps and watch and systems on phone are up to date!! HELP!!