Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
Oracleyoda
##- I do not follow. They released the app, it works pretty well. I forgot my phone for a gym session last week and listened to Spotify off the watch with positive results. Its a bit glitchy at times, but what is the issue?-##

Sent from my iPad
krispy4

@Oracleyoda, I assume you have cellular on your watch. That's fine, they just added that. The issue now is offline downloads, which is actually of much more concern than streaming. 

100% of all Apple Watch and Spotify users will benefit from offline downloads. Of that 100%, only a small section of them have a cellular Apple Watch. Out of that small section, an even smaller section pays to enable cellular on their watch. This means that, regardless, the vast majority still need to take their phone with them while going to the gym or, even worse, while running. EXCEPT if they join Apple Music

tonistair

Hey Spotify Team, I’m registered for a long time in this forum now and unfortunately never witnessed that any of the great ideas people come up with were actually implemented, which is a pitty.

Anyway, I try as the ~10.000 voters before me:

PLEASE. MAKE. THIS. HAPPEN.

I’m refusing to believe, that you still have any technical limitations, and if it is a politics thing with Apple please at least tell it to us!

Downloading music to your watch and play it from there should work just as fine as downloading music to your phone.

SaniCro

I announced some 5 months ago that I would leave spotify and cancel my family plan if they don't implement offline feature for the Apple Watch. My premium membership is active until march 22nd. Today I activated Apple Music, single membership, to prepare myself and recreate my playlists and the lists of my family members. On top of that, Apple bills me in my local currency here in Europe which right now is not the Euro in my country, so there are no conversion costs into Euro which Spotify asks my to pay with for the premium plan so it will be even cheaper for me to use Apple Music. The level of ignorance which Spotify is demonstrating regarding the Apple Watch and offline feature is simply mind blowing. Obviously, they don't use (non-celular) Apple watches and they don't make sports. I liked their app, but nevertheless, in less than one month Spotify is history for me and my money goes to the competiton. 

Ragnartyr

Please make this happen🙏

Zeptomania

I bought apple watch cellular ONLY to be able to stream spotify without my phone. That feature still doesn’t work!! I’ve been a spotify customer for over 10 years. This will make me switch to apple music. So annoying

danny_dayan
it needs a better cache, but it works.
dixieflatline

Like talking to the hand...

mseiter

Switched to apple music because of that some months ago and I like it. It's so awesome and intuitive to have the music on you wrist.
I'm not getting it why Spotify is resisting it so much. Such a dumb decision.

Josh_the_Posh

I check back occasionally to see if Spotify are ready to have me back as a customer.