Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
Zeptomania

Ok this is weird, I can't comment on the other issue https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/Apple-Watch-Streaming-not-working/td-p/5086577/page... any more. So I'm posting here because it's slightly related.

I bought a new headset, Air Pods Pro. And the streaming in Spotify worked right away!

Tested with two different headphones before, Sony and Kygo headphones, and were never able to stream Spotify to those. No other problems with those headphones, it was just in Spotify they weren't able to stream. 

Just thought you should know this. 

agitunes

Please enable offline streaming on Apple Watch. You’ve recently announced streaming, so now help those of use without a cellular watch to listen to our our Spotify account offline. Thanks. 

lalaboydk

Please make this work! 

kamenrider1

Not sure if it's intentional or not but this works for me now.

I am able to listen to Spotify over cellular from my Apple Watch 6 paired up with AirPods 2019.  I have a iPhone X.

Hilda2

a good idea would be to have an offline button on the apple watch itself. So you can also download music on your apple watch. Then you can go for a run without your phone and still listen to spotify

CH-DE

Same here. Live streaming over cellular with an AW series 6 basically works.

However, there still exist some flaws. 

What really annoys me is the fact that playlist folders are not supported. You simply cannot select playlists for playback that are stored within folders. 

Hopefully it will be fixed in a future update.

Enriru

I’m considering ending my Spotify subscription because of this. The apps on Mac, iPad and iPhone are ALWAYS unstable and buggy. (I have the newest devices on the latest versions of their OSes) and Spotify Connect doesn’t work well with AirPods automatic switching (it switches the AirPods to a device you’re not using because it makes iOS think you’re working there). Then there’s the inferior Ogg codec. Then also no offline listening on Apple Watch? The Spotify software development team is basically begging for Apple users to leave Spotify for Apple Music.

ninjakeks

It's a shame that nothing happens, I can't imagine that this must me a technical challenga. Maybe it's part of a deal with apple... 

ptt1044

I was holding on for 6 months hoping they would finally solve this problem. They have not, and I need to be able to download songs offline on my Apple Watch for running. I cancelled my Spotify subscription today and switched to Apple Music. It’s a shame they can’t develop a feature that so many customers want, and so many other apps offer. 

davejs

Ffs Spotify, it’s been 6 years! I’m legitimately considering switching to Apple Music if this feature doesn’t come soon. I’m sure many other people have already made this switch or never became a customer in the first place because of this. 

There’s a huge use case for offline playback on Apple Watch. Many people listen to music while running and don’t want to bring a phone with them. You’re losing a large percentage of people who run by not prioritizing this feature. I can’t imagine an engineering feature that would be more critical to growing Spotify’s user base right now than offline playback for Apple Watch. This is likely a multimillion dollar difference in AAR. Just wild that this has taken so long.