Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
mulletbum

That isn't true. By that logic they wouldn't allow Spotify to be on their phone either. 

Jonisykes

What this guy said. 

Apple have no reason to block Spotify.

And Spotify are being really damned slow about releasing an app. 

At least they hired the dev responsible for Snowy. Maybe he can kick them into shape. 

But hurry up or Smart watches will fall out of popularity before there's an app...

gartland

Looks like they're in even more trouble with Apple Watch 3, I for one will be switching over to Apple Music when I purchase the new iWatch. 

AlibabaUK

May be Apple won't allow that in interest of its own Apple Music revenue? 

Joeymendoza

Yea I have been a big advocate of Spotify but Apple Music with the LTE watch yea I might have to jump ship when I get my watch. I just like how Spotify is on several platforms as Apple Music is not.

fffaj

This thread was started 3rd May 2015, I'm done speculating and I'm just as happy on Apple Music. 

Mucke

Sad, but I will have to switch to Apple Music, too. I loved Spotify. But music on watch instead of phone during workout is so important and a gamechanger. There are good apps to transfer playlists btw.

fffaj

I did it manually, it was an uphill task but it's done amd sorted. The only thing was that it actually took quite a long time for the watch to sync up about 50 songs. 

akaChaseChase

*EDIT*

After a little research & playing around with the Airpods/Apple Watch, I discovered that you're able to control volume and last/next song using the "Now Playing" Apple Watch app.

You can add it into your Watches "dock" by Going to My Watch --> Dock --> Now Playing --> Edit (top right-hand corner), then the green + will put it in your dock for quick access.  

This was a game changer.  No need to Switch services to Apple Music (Spotify should really tell people about this, they could retain some users).

Previous Post:

I'm about to buy Apple AirPods, and the easiest way to control volume for them is using the apple watch.

If Spotify can't get it together with an Apple Watch app, I'm going to be forced to switch to the Apple Music app to control songs/volume. 

I love Spotify, and I'll be sad to leave... but alas, I'm a millennial, and everything is about convenience for us. 

bigfeat14

I ordered my Apple Watch 3 this morning. The version I ordered is schedule for delivery on October 5th. That is how long Spotify has to give me an app that lets me stream to the new watch without my iPhone. If there isn’t anything available or at least an announcement about what to expect, I’ll be taking my business to Apple Music for good. I love Spotify, but I can’t wait indefinitely to stream to the watch.