Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
BaconLover

The online streaming music does not suck. Spotify is not going away anytime soon. Some artist get 100 million hits per song or more. They have over 40 million paying customers, pretty sure they’ll be okay. But a app for the Apple Watch would be nice lol

Rahoulb

Spotify made a loss $1.4bn last year; Apple can sell hardware to cover the losses it makes in streaming music, Spotify cannot.  

However, when it comes to Apple Watch streaming, I suspect it's Spotify that's not doing anything - the Outcast app can do audio streaming directly on the watch and it works really well.  Given Spotify's terrible CarPlay app, I think they just don't have the willpower or know-how to do it.  

rjones123
Has anyone tried the Outcast app... does it really stream directly to the
watch?
Toine

Let’s make it simple: this app DID exist. Third party app made by independent developer. Spotify bought the app, developer thrilled to actually develop an app directly with the provider, published enthusiastic messages on his website (check ‘snowy’ on Google), but for some reason: no news ever since. My guess: Apple paid a generous amount to Spotify to kill the app and get all Apple Watch owners to move to Apple Music, which I shamefully did. 

bmusic1

moving to apple music from Spotify after 3 years if they don't give me a date as to when this is going to happen. Spotify, you are being quite stupid in the fact you can't even give your customers a date. Going to lose out on lots of $$$$s

kirst_ellen

So if I had an Apple Watch 3, I could wear my phone running (as I already do), Bluetooth my phone to my headphones (as I do currently) but skip & pause tracks from my Apple Watch (instead of having to stop running, take my phone holder off my arm & having to do it that way - end up not bothering most of the time). Is it easy to Bluetooth your phone to 2 devices at once? Headphones + Apple Watch? That’s better than nothing. I don’t mind wearing my phone  in it’s holder while running. Thanks 🙂

Simbo1970

Yeh you can pair multiple devices.  Pairing the Apple Watch is exceptionally easy as your phone takes a picture of an image on the watch and sets everything up.  Headphones pair as normal.

itsmepokono

+1

Rahoulb

The watch connects to your phone, the headphones connect to your phone. You choose a playlist on your phone and you can then use the “now playing” app on your watch as a remote control for your phone (volume, next/previous, pause and sometimes “add to library”)

Rahoulb

Interestingly I found a thread on here with the exact same discussion about Spotify and Android Wear (now called WearOS). Lots of frustrated people switching to Google Play Music on that side of the fence.