Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
etc

https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/9aumim/this_is_ridiculousgive_us_a_spotify_app/e4ylpt6/...

We might be seeing something soon. WatchOS 5 introduces the necessary background music APIs to make this happen.

Joeymendoza

The API is open now to sync data. Now it's in the hand of Spotify.

https://marco.org/2018/09/17/overcast5

It’s not perfect:

• No cellular. Apple hasn’t released a good way to do cellular audio streaming in watchOS, and the bad ways wouldn’t be very useful.

So if they don't release we can blame them at this point.

The Overcast 5.0.1 update, due out in a few days, makes Watch transfers even more reliable. (Sorry. Found a better way after 5.0 was approved.)

mattjm

I'm glad Apple did the Right Thing and opened up the APIs so this is possible now.  I'm looking foward to offline playlists with Spotify real soon now--pretty much the only reason I ordered an Apple Watch 4 (make it soon, though...you know the other streaming services aren't going to stand still on this).  

oresot
jake_palandri
The question now tho is how long will it take?
jimster1
Indeed. I have it on solid authority that another gadget has everything ready to go software wise for Spotify support. They are only waiting for Spotify for the go ahead.

So the blame in these things seem to go a bit of both ways.
ikayubi
I wouldn’t expect it any time soon if at all. Snowy was pretty close to release if I remember correctly and the beta APIs have been available pre-release to developers. So since we haven’t even heard so much as a hint that it’s coming makes it seem unlikely.
ritasanchez

what is watchify and how do you get it?

Joeymendoza

They have had acquired a working product over a year ago, doesn't mean they are going to integrate it.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/04/12/spotify-apple-watch/

Jonisykes

Anybody have stats on the most votes for feature. I can’t imagine anything has more kudos than this request for Apple Watch app.