[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2019-09-18

Hey folks,

We wanted to post an update as a lot of you have added your votes to this idea. 

We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience across platforms, but we’re afraid we don’t have any further information to share at the moment.

We typically don't announce integrations with third parties in advance. The best place to keep an eye on is on the Spotify Newsroom blog for updates about any partnerships.

Thanks for continuing to share your ideas!

Comments
lorenzom55

Sending us over to a post about cellular data access is not the original intent of this post.  We want to be able to sync our playlists to Apple Watch to listen off line just as the Apple Music app does.  Not everyone has an LTE watch.

Oracleyoda
Cellular doesn’t help anyway. I think Spotify is being blocked by Apple trying to force Apple Music on everyone
stkrkdknmibalz

Much needed! I would like to be able to play music without my iPhone!

jimohagan

For the love of every thing, get it done. Please. 

btrice

I switched to Apple Music when I got a cellular Apple Watch only because of the offline feature. If this is introduced I will switch back immediately.

gtrfghr

Because of this, I switched over to Apple Music after being a Spotify customer for over 3 years. 

I still prefer Spotify, so I'd love to return once the Apple Watch-version actually supports offline playback. 

jdrochholz

This is a no-brainer. 

Conjonway

+1 thinking of going to Apple music just to get this feature

k_dog_nor

I have been a spotify premium customer since at least 2010, I love new tech and Spotify had a very innovative business model.  A couple of years ago I got a family subscription - Spotify has been with me through a decade of my life and I am a very loyal customer. A year ago I bought an apple watch to so I dont have to bring my phone everywhere, track my running and listen to music.

I thought bringing my Iphone with me would be a temporary solution as Spotify normally is in the front of creating good apps, but still I have to bring my phone. At this point I am giving up and switching to Apple Music. 

So, if you need at business case for spending money building offline support for apple watch here it is;

The spotify customers who are in front of adapting new technology and some of your best customers are leaving..

asdasdasdassdsa

That's not the case. Audible and Pandora do offline playback on the Watch, the technical capability is there since wOS 5.

I would think that real reason seems to be that Spotify sees better ROI from other developments, i.e. the Watch users are not a customer segment significant enough. 

And then it could be a licensing problem with the music producers.

However, Spotify did implement offline playback for Garmin watches, so it's probably not a focus nor a licensing issue. So I'm out of ideas.