Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Schlichi

If Spotify doesn’t support HomePod (Mini) in the coming weeks, I will move my whole Spotify Family to Apple Music. I‘m done waiting...

juancarlosiv85

I'm in the same boat, if Spotify doesn't support it soon (iOS 14 is now our for the HomePod), I'll probably switch over to Apple Music, even though I'd prefer Spotify. Don't want Amazon or Google listening in on me.

Would be great to hear an update from Spotify on this now that all the foundations are theoretically in place to make this possible.

tkintali
Correct me if I’m wrong but, my guess is that until the HomePod Mini comes out or the HomePod OS 14 comes out, Spotify probably update it till then. Or at least near that time frame. Right now no HomePod that’s not on the beta can even choose any default provider outside of Apple Music I’m pretty sure. I’d put the wait time on Apple right now not Spotify.
juancarlosiv85

iOS 14.1 is live on my HomePod, and I was not an early or beta tester, so no, as far as I know actually the clock is squarely on Spotify now, unless they've been locked out, in which case they should just say so.

tkintali
So you can set other apps as default and not Spotify?
juancarlosiv85

Haven't updated my phone to iOS 14 yet (which is also required), will do that today, but as far as I have heard from others, yes. At the very minimum, if the feature isn't live yet, I'd imagine developers must have access to start building it out.

tkintali
I could be wrong but it looks like that update was pushed and then pulled soon after. Most people on 14.1 are on the beta. I along with many others are still stuck on 13.4.8.
If I’d have to guess, I’d say that closer to when the HomePod Mini will be released is when everyone will get the update pushed out to them.
imJeans

Ok boys, im on every beta possible always looking out for this feature.

My current setup is iPhone X running iOS 14.2 beta and Homepod running OS 14.2 beta as well.

This feature does not exist as of yet.

You cannot simply pick a default music application, SPOTIFY STILL HAS TO IMPLEMENT THIS. 

We have gathered more than enough upvotes (why is this even required), this is an important feature and its kind of sad this is getting nowhere.

Apple music might be the move soon... its a damn shame.

juancarlosiv85

It's officially live: https://9to5mac.com/2020/10/20/apple-releases-homepod-software-14-1-with-siri-improvements-intercom-...

Happened today as per article, but that still puts the clock on Spotify now.

imJeans

@juancarlosiv85

Homepod 14.1 went live today,

i can confirm this feature is missing from homepod 14.2 as well.