Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Siri Shortcuts Support

PREFACE:

With the release of iOS 12, iPhone users can now utilize Shortcuts to make the most of their daily routines by automating tasks and steps in both native and third party apps. Currently, the extent to which Spotify can be utilized via Shortcuts is to simply Open App.

IDEA:

I wish to see more options and a wider scope of utility of Spotify in Shortcuts to the capacity of playing specific playlists when I leave my home, and adding the current song to a new custom playlist that I can name, or even copying a song link to a tweet. I know the Shortcut app would be capable of handling a workflow along those lines but it seems it would require a bit more generosity from the Spotify app.

MODERATORS:

Please note that this is NOT the same idea requested here considering that post is requesting for "Siri Integration" not "Shortcut Support". In addition, this idea is no longer an announcement as prefaced here and is now a public feature in iOS 12 as of Monday (9/17).

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks, Spotify staff here.

We wanted to post an update as this idea has reached over 500 votes from our users.

We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience across platforms, but we’re afraid we don’t have any further information to share at the moment.

We typically don't announce integrations with third parties in advance. The best place to keep an eye on is our blog for news updates about any such partnerships.

Thanks for continuing to share your ideas and give us feedback in our Idea Exchange.

Comments
mattaningram

@mosohodPeti wrote:

This would be pretty nice, but one of the reasons for this idea not being implemented may be this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8SShgWqJvg&t=8s

No, other services like Pandora which are the same as Spotify have already implemented Siri Shortcuts. Siri Shortcuts are different from full Siri integration which Apple does not allow any other music service to use. Apple is not treating Spotify differently from other music services here. Spotify could implement Siri shortcuts if they wanted.

Razeer123

It's unbelievable that Spotify didn't add integration with Siri Shortcuts yet. Every bigger app uses it as developers are free to do so. Using Spotify while driving is a nightmare for me - Spotify Voice is not compatible with my country and Siri Shortcuts are not working. Please listen to your customers, we are paying for your products. 

zautnerc

I'd even be happy if they simply do what Pandora. With Pandora you can create Siri shortcuts in the app to play specific radio stations. It's still not that feature rich, but I at least know it will work. So far, any workaround shortcut people have made for Spotify still require me to unlock my phone. With face id, if I have to pick up my phone and look at it while driving it really defeats the purpose of a shortcut. Plus they only work about half the time anyways. 

lambdadriver

I don't understand how this hasn't happened yet. You already have the "partnership" with Apple when it comes to offering an app on their platform.... No, shortcuts support won't provide feature parity with apple music in all aspects but sure would fill the gaps.

Shortcuts support is table stakes on ios. I will likely  no longer be a spotify customer soon if this isn't added. 

Jpgchief

It would be awesome.

JackH429

Apple and SPotify are "Talking: about integrating Spotify for Siri support to try to counteract the EU complaint. Spotify would utilise SiriKit to integrate with Siri instead of using the shortcuts application. 

JackH429

Guys! iOS 13 provides support for 3rd party apps to use Siri through SiriKit

Link: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/207/ 

The main question is when is Spotify going to integrate. If they want the most press coverage they should release it before iOS 13 launch to people on iOS 13 beta with Spotify Beta. This way those people can test and look for issues before it gets to the general public.

This needs to happen! My idea for this feature is to have an opening phrase "Hey Siri, open Spotify" or "Hey Siri, play music using Spotify" and then say the wanting music to play. For example, if I want to play Girls Like You by Maroon 5, I can say "Hey Siri, open Spotify" and after Siri asks what song to play, I just respond "Girls Like You by Maroon 5"

Blobbyguy

There's next to no reason for this not to be a thing. If they're trying to compete with Apple Music they're only shooting their own feet. Especially with Apple still working on shortcuts with the new additions of automations iOS 13, it's becoming more and more of a burden with Spotify not having the required integrations.

JackH429

Siri Support is live on Spotify beta on iOS 13!!!!! See image for proof

It’s been a few years but it’s finally hereIt’s been a few years but it’s finally here