Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Split Screen Support

It would be awesome if spotify could support the IOS 9 Multitask Split-Screen feature ...!!!

Updated on 2021-01-13

Hey there folks,

Thanks for bringing your ideas and votes to the Idea Exchange!

We're marking this as implemented, as multiple iOS devices now support Split View.

Cheers!

Comments
stanley2015

People been wanting this for two years. They don't seem to care to make this work. 

MaxSwag

I really wish Spotify would create this feature. There have been so many times I've wished I could do this.

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2017-08-29

Hey @86kanth thanks for coming to the Community with your idea. Right now we don't have any plans to support the iOS 9 Multitask Split-Screen feature. However I've flagged your request with the appropriate teams and they'll let us know if this changes. Thanks again and keep an eye here for any updates!

halfpennymcfc

Adding my voice to this one. Given the improvements iOS 11 is bringing to the iPad in the next couple of weeks, introducing native split screen support is something Spotify really needs to introduce if it's going to really take advantage of the iPad. Especially in the case of the 12.9in version. It would make using the app much more enjoyable/useful. 

spaceleviathan

This question was started in 2015.....

Honestly if you cannot get it together and add it before 2018, I’m switching back to the better integrated / multitasking capable Apple Music stock app & service.

I get you may be handicapped because you went with a universal foundation and Apple hates your competition,

But this is a missed opportunity and every iPad owner I know hates this about your app - it’s honestly why I’m the single one out of my social group (with the relevant hardware) who uses Spotify.

this might seem like a small thing but it’s becoming a dealbreaker as every other app on iOS supports the richer iOS 9,10,11 frameworks for multitasking while Spotify becomes more and moreover of an annoyance to use then a pleasure.

This becomes a bit of a critical issue for iPad users as your tablet / tv version since the unifying design update is a stretched copy of mobile which means anything not a smartphone form factor looks and uses like pure garbage.

Has as anyone a/b tested what a nightmare poking game Spotify becomes using a 9, 10, & 12” tablet?

Has the marketing department considered that Spotify could literally live permanently on one side of most users screen with this update. . .  This would be a mega win considering the app is full screen only and incompatible with Siri for whatever reason.

Just to prove there’s a better way then the blandfest we have now - I downloaded an ancient copy of the app on my second hand old iPad 1 and it’s ui/ux and general design is infinitely more usable for the none-phone layout.

so I implore you Spotify powers that be - make iPad multitasking a thing and gain forgiveness in our eyes.

With iOS 11 and the advent of “Pro” tablets, there’s no room for stick in the mud or stoic apps & services anymore.

hope this feedback helps.

JPB69

2 years after starting this topic NOTHING has changed in split screen functionality Spotify/iPad (9.7 iPad Pro). 

The Apple Music now offers split screen so I can combine music control with sheet music into one screen. 

Perhaps Spotify runs into anti competition rules from Apple but that’s to bad. I want to be loyal to Spotify, but that shouldn’t affect my user experience to much. 

I use both paid services for now but apple is going to win...

lewen7er9

Please support this! It's jarring that it's not supported (almost all other apps that I use frequently do support it), and it's an obvious candidate for the scenarios split-screen is designed to support.

robbarrie

Hi,

This feature would be really appreciated. Right now I can’t make the switch from Apple Music to another service, simply because it means switching apps completely whenever I want to change tracks. 

Don’t want to get too presumptuous about something I know very little, but is it THAT difficult to add this functionality? 

I realise that’s still pretty presumptuous though.

But please, it’d be great.

mmhck

Every single update i wait for this feature. 

MaxSwag

I would use this feature so much.