Announcements

[iOS] Stop loading the Facebook SDK on startup in the iOS app

By default, the iOS application loads the Facebook SDK on startup of the app. When I check the monitoring of my local DNS resolver, I can see that Spotify makes a request to "graph.facebook.com" on startup, without even clicking on Facebook integration or using "login with Facebook".

This behaviour caused the crashing app yesterday, because the app couldn't contact the Facebook SDK on startup. This makes the iOS app less reliable, because a faulty Facebook SDK causes the entire app to crash. The second point is that this SDK makes Spotify send data about every user to Facebook, even when they don't have Facebook and don't use any Facebook functionality like "login with Facebook".

At the same time, the Android app doesn't show this behaviour since February 2019: https://privacyinternational.org/node/2498

In my opinion, the iOS app should get the same behaviour as the Android app. That means it only loads the Facebook SDK, when using Facebook functionality. This will make the iOS app more reliable and more privacy friendly.

Updated on 2020-07-14

Marked as new idea.

Comments
Visitor

I didn’t know Spotify used the Facebook SDK. Why? Are Spotify and Facebook linked? 
I didn’t like Facebook to start with and even less since MZ’s “We are not the arbiters of truth” schtick. 
I’m now thinking twice about continuing my Spotify subscription due to this. 

Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2020-07-14

Marked as new idea.