[iOS][Your Library] Proposal for more fluid offline listening

On the topic of mobile listening for the newest version of Spotify on iOS:

When viewing albums in my collection (Your Library -> Albums -> Album Name), I cannot access the album view when my data connection is poor -- even when all of the songs in that collection have been downloaded. The workaround for this is to disable the device's data connection, which allows me to view the album contents and play offline songs. This is not ideal behavior; it's confusing for a user to be blocked from viewing downloaded content until they've disabled their poor data connection.

This reflects incorrect logic in the app. Instead of performing a synchronous fetch, which blocks the user from being able to view the list of songs within the downloaded album, the user should immediately be able to access the data cached on the device. In other words, the logic should not be:

if (device.dataConnectionAvailable()) {
    fetchDataNeeded();
}
renderAlbumView();

Instead, the logic should be more like:

if (selectedAlbum.hasCachedMetadata()) {
    loadCachedMetadata();
} else if (device.dataConnectionAvailable()) {
    fetchDataNeeded();
}
renderAlbumView();

This could also be fixed by asynchronously fetching the data, so that the user isn't viewing a loading wheel. Ideally, the app should default to accessing cached metadata, whether or not the audio files themselves have been downloaded, so as to minimize data usage.

Updated on 2019-09-07

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea.

Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes. More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found: here

Comments
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2019-09-07

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea.

Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes. More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found: here

yyam
Visitor

I have this issue too and it's very annoying to wait for Spotify to fetch all the album metadata over the internet (which can take 2-10 seconds depending on connection quality) when I know it's just sitting on the local hard drive! I know this is the case because if enable "offline mode", the album metadata loads instantly.

It sounds like a relatively straightforward change? The app should try to fetch the data from the hard drive first, and only fall back to fetching over the internet if that album has not been downloaded to the device.