5 versions of the same album??

5 versions of the same album??

bwind3
Regular

Is there a reason why I need to see several versions of the same album - with no obvious difference? I mean...Peter Gabriel's So album = 5 of the same album listed. Sure one is the remastered...but the others??

9 Replies

Re: 5 versions of the same album??

David
Spotify Legend
Hello,

Multiple versions of albums tends to be little more than different releases. The main example of this might be Explicit or Clean versions of the album. Then, as you said, remastered versions of the album. And then there are deluxe, or collectors, editions, and then versions of the album licensed in different countries.

Although strangely, I could only find 2 versions of So.
Airhorn Enthusiast

bwind3
Regular

Well... 

I just went back to look...

On Peter Gabriel's listings he has:

2 versions of Scratch My Back - that look identical.

1 So - remastered

2 So - look identical

2 So - digital remastered in  2002 - identical

SteveBrammer
Community Legend

What country are you in bwind3?

There is almost no Peter Gabriel in the catalogue here in Sweden. The album "So" is not there anyway.

David... I thought Peter Gabriel was missing becuase of his own choice and because he is the part owner of one of your competitors. But if this is not the case can you please find out why there is almost nothing from him in the catalogue in Sweden?

bwind3
Regular

The US. I wondered why so little from PG and then all the duplications...thx

David
Spotify Legend
I imagine it's down to licensing deals made with different labels / rights holders in different countries.
Airhorn Enthusiast

SteveBrammer
Community Legend

Well duh! Hadn't thought of that :smileylol:

David
Spotify Legend
I would ask him personally, but I lost his number when I got a new phone...
Airhorn Enthusiast

SteveBrammer
Community Legend

Well it's obviously not completely his own choice or his tracks wouldn't be available anywhere on Spotify.

Or it could be that he doesn't have control over his own catalogue in the US. It's not unheard of in the crazy world of music licensing that artists have absolutely no control over what is done with their back-catalogue.

David
Spotify Legend
From looking at www.spotimy.com, it seems that only a limited range of his work is available in some countries.
Airhorn Enthusiast
SUGGESTED POSTS