Algorithm Playlists - Sound of Spotify & Particle Detector

3 people liked this

Algorithm Playlists - Sound of Spotify & Particle Detector

edgarallanpoets
Roadie

Hi Guys how are you? 

I have some question marks about the Algorithm Playlists like The Sound of Spotify & Particle Detector. They seem to be really important to get exposure on Spotify but I don't understand how the songs are picked up.

Behind these playlists, there is an engineer but what I don't understand is: 

Is there a human touch or they are created only by following data?

If they are following only data, what are these data? 

Listeners to Followers Ratio?

Spotify Popularity Index?

etc

Would be great to know what is the trigger point to be considered by the algorithm.

I have been studying some bands included in these playlists and they all have a Spotify Popularity Index of min 40.  Listeners to Followers Ratio seems to be less important since we can find bands with only 1x Followers Ratio.

Playlists created by humans are easy to deal with because you can suggest your music to someone and if they like the song they are going to include it, but these algorithm Playlists, that seem to be vital to increase your plays on Spotify, seem to do a favour to some artists and others bands will just remain lost in the matrix abyss.

Since we have to deal also with machines would be great that Spotify could explain more what data we need to be considered so to be able to work in that direction in order to achieve those numbers.

8 Replies
1 person liked this

Re: Algorithm Playlists - Sound of Spotify & Particle Detector

Rock Star 11
Rock Star 11

I would also like to know more, by general knowledge. Good your observations.

We are going to wait for a good response from someone who can help us.

JpgchiefRock Star 11
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
1 person liked this

EliseF
Roadie

Spike your plays, by networking and getting onto a big playlist, and those tracks will get picked up by the algorithms for at least a few weeks.

1 person liked this

Rock Star 15
Rock Star 15

Sound of Spotify and Particle Detector playlists are not created and updated by humans, they are purely algorithmic.

(Particle Detector has apparently been replaced by something else. It used to have Pulse and Edge playlists.)

These playlists are held by Every Noise At Once, managed and built by Spotify's data alchemist Glenn McDonald.

I would like to think of these playlists built without much preferences over particular artists. Why some artists might be left out of the "Sound of ____" playlists is maybe missing genre tags, eg almost every Renraku artist is missing a genre tag on Spotify.

Scroll to the end of the Every Noise page, there are links to various different playlists and clusters. First of the links also explains the project and how it began.

Hope this helps. :)

SebastyRock Star 15
1 person liked this

MikeNicMusic
Music Fan

Sebasty,

Thanks for the insight! One of the songs I promoted just recently ended up on a particle detector playlist, and I wondered where that came from, but that explains a lot. Thanks again!

1 person liked this

Re: Algorithm Playlists - Sound of Spotify

EliseF
Roadie
Cool! If you subscribe to SpotOnTrack (which you can do temporarily) then it's possible to see all the little algorithmic playlists your song got onto. When I recently had the same thing happen, my song got onto about 10 of them. It was really fun to see the titles, because our band's music is cross-genre, and also because Spotify analyzes the music be feel and sound qualities, so they might think your Latin song is good for a Country playlist, or whatever. Unfortunately, SpotOnTrack costs a little money, so if (like me) you're poor, it might not be advisable. But I recommend getting it for a short time, just to see where your song is going.
1 person liked this

Rock Star 15
Rock Star 15

SpotOnTrack sounds very useful!

The Particle Detector is still present and functional, I just had to google it:

spotify:user:particledetector

But there's a limit in how many playlists the client shows on the profile, so you'd have to google the desired playlist, eg you want the edge of drumfunk (you take the genre name from everynoise.com), you can google "edge of drumfunk" and you'll get this, Sound of, and Pulse of Drumfunk.
(for some reason I can't seem to find them by searching within the client)

:)

SebastyRock Star 15
1 person liked this

MikeNicMusic
Music Fan

Elise.

You can also use Chartmetric...I don't think it shows you all of the playlists a song is on, but it shows you the major playlists a song is on...and that's using the free version of it. Not sure how the very expensive, not so free version of chartmetric works.

1 person liked this

MikeNicMusic
Music Fan

Elise,

So Spot on Track is amazing...thanks for the advice...gotta give you a kudos for that!

SUGGESTED POSTS