[All Platforms][Playlists] More diversity in Spotify playlists

Highlighted

[All Platforms][Playlists] More diversity in Spotify playlists

Sophied13
I love listening to Spotify playlists like Local Noise to hear bands I love and discover new ones. I'm not sure who curates this playlist but there's a serious lack of chicks or any kind of diversity on this list though! There's so many great female driven bands making great music in this genre. I suggest Spotify make some room for them on this and other playlists. Either that or rename it "Local Noise Made By 20-Something White Dudes". What's up Spotify it's 2016!?
5 Replies

Re: [All Platforms][Playlists] More diversity in Spotify playlists

Rock Star 13
Rock Star 13

@Sophied13 I absolutely agree, a lot of curators have strong unconscious gender bias - I also believe that more female artists outside pop don't get the attention they deserve than male artists. I try my best to create balance in my playlists (and if not, create an entire playlist of female artists I admire) - like this one I made recently:

spotify:user:crematedman:playlist:4CbvhgnVQJRwrWZdUHcyvJ

I think the problem lies in the tendency for males to listen to more male artists, and vice versa (a generalisation, but true for the majority). 

crematedmanRock Star 13
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Chaunalea
Gig Goer

I agree too. I like to listen to artists of all walks of life. I would love to listen to more females and diverse artists. Also, as a new singer/songwriter--it is hard for new artists to gain traction.Hopefully, changes will be for the better! 

JayLB
Community Legend

I had a rather interesting track by a Female fronted Power Metal band in my Discover Weekly playlist this week. Here is the band's wiki page for those interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Sound_of_Thunder_(band)

The song that dropped in my DW this week was this one:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Jay

What's a Spotify Rock Star/Rising Star and how do I become one?
Note I am not a Spotify Employee, I just help out around on the community!

| Spotify Profile | last.fm Profile | Send Me A Message | Twitter |

theapopcorn
Regular

Marcus_Åhman9
Casual Listener

Here's my playlist only featuring female voices. Check it out.

https://open.spotify.com/user/marcus_%C3%A5hman9/playlist/4WQkVxMPO8UPJic8qHT7yC

SUGGESTED POSTS