[All Platforms][Playlists] More diversity in Spotify playlists

Highlighted

[All Platforms][Playlists] More diversity in Spotify playlists

I love listening to Spotify playlists like Local Noise to hear bands I love and discover new ones. I'm not sure who curates this playlist but there's a serious lack of chicks or any kind of diversity on this list though! There's so many great female driven bands making great music in this genre. I suggest Spotify make some room for them on this and other playlists. Either that or rename it "Local Noise Made By 20-Something White Dudes". What's up Spotify it's 2016!?
5 Replies
Highlighted

Re: [All Platforms][Playlists] More diversity in Spotify playlists

Community Legend

@Sophied13 I absolutely agree, a lot of curators have strong unconscious gender bias - I also believe that more female artists outside pop don't get the attention they deserve than male artists. I try my best to create balance in my playlists (and if not, create an entire playlist of female artists I admire) - like this one I made recently:

spotify:user:crematedman:playlist:4CbvhgnVQJRwrWZdUHcyvJ

I think the problem lies in the tendency for males to listen to more male artists, and vice versa (a generalisation, but true for the majority). 

Highlighted

Gig Goer

I agree too. I like to listen to artists of all walks of life. I would love to listen to more females and diverse artists. Also, as a new singer/songwriter--it is hard for new artists to gain traction.Hopefully, changes will be for the better! 

Highlighted

user-removed
Not applicable

I had a rather interesting track by a Female fronted Power Metal band in my Discover Weekly playlist this week. Here is the band's wiki page for those interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Sound_of_Thunder_(band)

The song that dropped in my DW this week was this one:

Highlighted

Regular

Casual Listener

Here's my playlist only featuring female voices. Check it out.

https://open.spotify.com/user/marcus_%C3%A5hman9/playlist/4WQkVxMPO8UPJic8qHT7yC

SUGGESTED POSTS